Old 22-09-2003, 09:15 PM
Gil Pius

Default Newbie question: how do I "top-dress" a lawn?

I'd like to "top dress" my fescue - over the years I've lost top soil
and I'd like to attempt to "top dress" every year or so (depending on
what it takes to do it). I'm curious as to what's the best way to do
it and what approach gives the most bang for the buck. Any
suggestions, however simple, will be greatly appreciated by this
newbie!

Thank you,

Gil
Old 23-09-2003, 08:02 PM

In article , Gil Pius wrote:
I'd like to "top dress" my fescue - over the years I've lost top soil
and I'd like to attempt to "top dress" every year or so (depending on
what it takes to do it). I'm curious as to what's the best way to do
it and what approach gives the most bang for the buck. Any
suggestions, however simple, will be greatly appreciated by this
newbie!

Top dressing to this old farm boy just means adding fertilizer. I had
not heard of adding topsoil as top dressing, but I am not a lawn expert.

I did not think a healthy lawn should lose topsoil. You can't add much
if any with out smothering fescue. Sounds like you want to till, rake
out clumps of grass, add topsoil, retill, level and reseed.

Another option might be to add a thin layer of topsoil to the existing
grass, areate with a core type areator, reseed over that.

spam@www.spam.com is a garbage address.
Old 23-09-2003, 09:22 PM
Tomatolord

ok you want to add about 1/2 inch to an inch at most...THEN fertilize
well... the roots will come UP to the fertilizer

Any more than this and you run the risk of smothering the roots

You may want to throw down some leaf compost instead of soil, that you could
put down a little thicker..

tomatolord

om...

Old 29-11-2013, 08:59 AM posted to triangle.gardens

http://www.lordswoods.co.uk/top-dres...-dressing.html