Old 08-05-2003, 04:20 PM
MFA

Default where can one buy new or used railroad ties

I need about 30 to outline some flower beds and garden.And does anyone know
about what they cost.Thanks

Old 08-05-2003, 09:56 PM
Bryan C. Andregg

In article , MFA wrote:
I need about 30 to outline some flower beds and garden.And does anyone know
about what they cost.Thanks

The creosote from railroad ties is an ecological disaster in the garden. It
would be better to use landscaping timbers from some place like Home Depot.

--
Bryan C. Andregg Duke University Medical Center
Programmer Dept. of Anesthesiology
Old 08-05-2003, 11:08 PM
Bippy

wrote:
| I need about 30 to outline some flower beds and garden.And does
anyone know
| about what they cost.Thanks
|
| The creosote from railroad ties is an ecological disaster in the
garden. It
| would be better to use landscaping timbers from some place like Home
Depot.

My mother-in-law said she bought some untreated railroad ties in (I
think) Siler City somewhere. I'll check with her to see where she
found 'em and how much they cost.

Old 08-05-2003, 11:08 PM
Anne Lurie

As Bryan pointed out, railroad ties are a big no-no because of the creosote;
I thought I recently read that they are no longer available because of the
ecological damage potential.

I'll mention another drawback, based on my experience with the ones I have
(here when we bought the house): they deteriorate from freezing & thawing
(at least, I assume that's why). I'm having particular problems with some
that were used to create steps, one of which is now an "ankle-breaker"
(fortunately, we don't use those steps), and I'm going to remove them as
soon as I can convince my hubby to help me.

Does anyone have any disposal suggestions for the ties? I assume that
burning them is out of the question due to the toxic stuff that would
generate, and I can't imagine that the tree debris landfill near me would
take them.

Anne Lurie

. com...

Old 09-05-2003, 05:44 AM
MFA

wrote:
| I need about 30 to outline some flower beds and garden.And does
anyone know
| about what they cost.Thanks
|
| The creosote from railroad ties is an ecological disaster in the
garden. It
| would be better to use landscaping timbers from some place like Home
Depot.

My mother-in-law said she bought some untreated railroad ties in (I
think) Siler City somewhere. I'll check with her to see where she
found 'em and how much they cost.

Ok thanks that will be much appreciated .

Old 09-05-2003, 05:56 AM
MFA

MFA wrote in message ...
I need about 30 to outline some flower beds and garden.And does anyone know
about what they cost.Thanks

Thanks for all the replies,If I use any they will certianly not be treated

ties from what i,ve read about them here.

Old 09-05-2003, 04:56 PM
Bippy

"MFA" wrote in message
om...

| Bippy wrote in message ...
| "Bryan C. Andregg" wrote in message
| | In article ,
MFA
| wrote:
| | I need about 30 to outline some flower beds and garden.And does
| anyone know
| | about what they cost.Thanks
| |
| | The creosote from railroad ties is an ecological disaster in the
| garden. It
| | would be better to use landscaping timbers from some place like
| Depot.
|
| My mother-in-law said she bought some untreated railroad ties in (I
| think) Siler City somewhere. I'll check with her to see where she
| found 'em and how much they cost.
|
| Ok thanks that will be much appreciated .

It was in Liberty, but she doesn't remember the guy's name. He
generally sells them by the tractor-trailer load, but he had a few
"second-quality" ones that he sold her (she said she thought they were
$6.50 each). They're open from 8 till about 3 Monday - Friday and she
says they're in the center of town near the railroad tracks behind a
grove of bamboo. She's on her way out for the weekend and couldn't
find the phone number, but will look for it when she returns. By the
time she returns I'll be having a baby, so it may be a while before I
can post the number. Sorry! :-P~~~

For what it's worth, she says she'd bet if you drove out there you'd
be able to track him down ... the whole small town thing and all. But
from here it's a haul. Speaking of which, you'd have to be able to get
'em home yourself. He doesn't deliver. :-)

Old 09-05-2003, 05:20 PM
MFA

Bippy wrote in message ...
"MFA" wrote in message
. com...

| Bippy wrote in message ...
| "Bryan C. Andregg" wrote in message
| | In article ,
MFA
| wrote:
| | I need about 30 to outline some flower beds and garden.And does
| anyone know
| | about what they cost.Thanks
| |
| | The creosote from railroad ties is an ecological disaster in the
| garden. It
| | would be better to use landscaping timbers from some place like
| Depot.
|
| My mother-in-law said she bought some untreated railroad ties in (I
| think) Siler City somewhere. I'll check with her to see where she
| found 'em and how much they cost.
|
| Ok thanks that will be much appreciated .

It was in Liberty, but she doesn't remember the guy's name. He
generally sells them by the tractor-trailer load, but he had a few
"second-quality" ones that he sold her (she said she thought they were
$6.50 each). They're open from 8 till about 3 Monday - Friday and she
says they're in the center of town near the railroad tracks behind a
grove of bamboo. She's on her way out for the weekend and couldn't
find the phone number, but will look for it when she returns. By the
time she returns I'll be having a baby, so it may be a while before I
can post the number. Sorry! :-P~~~

For what it's worth, she says she'd bet if you drove out there you'd
be able to track him down ... the whole small town thing and all. But
from here it's a haul. Speaking of which, you'd have to be able to get
'em home yourself. He doesn't deliver. :-)

I think I'll take a drive out there and check.I've got a trailor to haul on
and a good back. Congrats on the Baby.And thanks for following through on
the info.

Old 13-05-2003, 03:56 AM
MAC

they're in the center of town near the railroad tracks

Selling railroad ties near railroad tracks, eh? Seems suspicious. ;-)

I built a couple of raised beds for vegetables out of ties a couple of
years ago, but they had very little creosote left in them and have done
very well since. On the other hand, I recently bought some from Jones
Hardware in Wake Forest, and they reeked of the stuff. They're going to
become landscape edging instead.

MAC

Free railroad ties? Mike Harris Texas 6 20-04-2006 07:25 PM
Filling Cracks In Old Railroad Ties Used As Garden Bordering ? Robert11 Lawns 4 04-04-2006 07:26 PM
Railroad Ties for Landscaping James Black Gardening 13 02-06-2005 05:16 AM
Old railroad ties needed Jason Jones North Carolina 3 09-06-2004 07:07 PM
How to Clean Creosote on Railroad Ties James Eick Gardening 5 22-05-2003 08:56 PM