Old 12-05-2003, 05:44 PM
PraGir

Default Preparing plant beds .. !!

Hi,

We are planning on preparing a couple of plant beds on both sides of
the house. Our house is just a year old, and did not have grass on the
sides before. I did a aerating and seeding late last fall and most of
the grass has not shown up. On the area, where I am planning the plant
beds, there are small shoots of grass in patches. I tilled the parts
that have longer grass. But in most parts, the grass is not taller
than an inch.

Would it be allright, if I just cleared out the planting area but just
dumped mulch on the other parts? I have fescue, so would the small
grass die beneath the mulch?? I know it sounds cruel, but..:-)

thanks.
Old 12-05-2003, 09:32 PM

In article , PraGir wrote:
Hi,

We are planning on preparing a couple of plant beds on both sides of
the house. Our house is just a year old, and did not have grass on the
sides before. I did a aerating and seeding late last fall and most of
the grass has not shown up. On the area, where I am planning the plant
beds, there are small shoots of grass in patches. I tilled the parts
that have longer grass. But in most parts, the grass is not taller
than an inch.

Would it be allright, if I just cleared out the planting area but just
dumped mulch on the other parts? I have fescue, so would the small
grass die beneath the mulch?? I know it sounds cruel, but..:-)

To make sure the grass did not come thru hte mulch, I would suggest you
put down layers of newspaper. I generally put it out a section (6-12)
sheets of paper and overlap it some then put the mulch on top of that.

thanks.

--
Wes Dukes (wdukesNOatSPAMpoboxdotcom)

Veg/Fruit to plant now and preparing land for first use... Jack Guest United Kingdom 4 06-07-2004 12:04 PM
[IBC] preparing wild soil Steve Wolfinger Bonsai 3 07-06-2003 06:20 PM
Preparing for bulbs Flossie Australia 1 12-05-2003 08:44 AM
Preparing a raised bed (vegetables) Brs36 Gardening 8 22-04-2003 09:44 AM
beginner needs help on preparing the soil audrey Gardening 12 17-03-2003 10:44 AM