Old 14-05-2003, 03:20 PM
Tomatolord

Default alternative plant uses - not found in books...

Impatients - can be put directly into water and will thrive very very well -
I use them as pond plants and just put them right into the water and in the
water fall itself

To grow another fig tree - scrape the bark on a low laying branch and then
cover it with soil, the next spring when that branch throws out leaves it
will also have rooted itself and you can now cut if off from the main tree
and it will produce fruit in another year or 2

any other not in the books?

Old 15-05-2003, 01:20 AM
Anne Lurie

What do you do with the impatiens when you use them in water? Do they need
to be in special "water garden" pots? Do you anchor them?

My teeny little 3' water garden could use some shade to reduce algae growth,
as I don't use algicides because my dogs drink from the water garden. Also,
due to above-mentioned dogs, the average life of a floating plant (i.e.
Water Hyacinth) is less than 24 hours!

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

Old 15-05-2003, 04:44 PM
Tomatolord

no special pots just drop them right in the water if you want like a lily -
they will float around

If you put the roots in the water and anchor them somewhere that will work
as well.

I put mine in the waterfall for 2 reasons
1 - they act like a biofilter and help clean the water
2 - the koi will eat them if I just toss them in the pond

you can put them right on the edge with the roots in the water as well

Later
om...