Old 23-05-2003, 05:20 PM
Jane Peppler

Default what the deer eat at my house

Considering the fencing options...

Completely devoured:
Aronia (chokeberry)
Red mulberries
Bean plants
Hostas
Daylilies
Wild passionflowers (I'm saddest about these. They even found one I
had put in a gardening pot and pulled it out of the pot. They got every
single shoot)

Heavily munched:
Red-twig dogwood
Regular dogwoods
Elderberry
Rose of sharon

Eaten even though supposedly not tasty:
Bee balm
Viburnums

Old 23-05-2003, 05:59 PM
Penny Morgan

Have you tried spraying Tree Guard on your plants. It can't be used on
edibles, but my neighbors swear by it for azaleas, hosta and so on. It is a
latex based, ready to use spray that is used on flowers, plants or shrubs
that are being chewed on by deer. It contains a very bitter tasting
chemical called Bitrex that they find very distasteful. It goes on milky
and dries clear. It also lasts for approx. 2 months before breaking down.
You can then reapply it.

I sprayed my hosta, rose of sharon, ferns and a ton of flowers with it, and
so far, nothing has been chewed. I see deer crossing our yard in the wee
hours of the morning (2-4 am usually). I bought 5 gallons of it and am
sharing it with our homeowners association. I spray our newly planted
entrance to our subdivision. I sprayed it in late March and have had not
one bite taken of the plants. I will probably reapply it soon. Give it a
shot and let us know your results.

Penny

Old 23-05-2003, 07:22 PM
Kira Dirlik

On Fri, 23 May 2003 12:16:52 -0400, Jane Peppler
wrote:

a list of plants deer have eaten at her house.

I've found they DON'T touch most herbs, like rosemary, lemon verbena,
oregano. Nor a pomegranate shrub, Forsythia, the ferns, jack-in-the-
pulpits, and buckeyes that thrive in the woods. And oh how I wish
they WOULD eat nimblewill, bamboo grass, and eleagnus.

I put a fence around my veggie garden, so am safe there.
Other flower areas I have put chicken wire around the individual beds.
You develop a blind spot to it after a while, and the wire weathers
and becomes almost unnoticeable.

But they have completely cleaned out the edible understory in our
neighborhood woods... young dogwoods, maples, etc. Only the Eleagnus
flourishes. And every year, more and more older dogwoods just up and
die. Very sad (but makes great firewood).
Kira

Old 27-05-2003, 02:57 PM
Lance R.

My two foot tall tomatoes didn't get touched for several weeks - now in the
past two nights almost all the leaves have been eaten from the tomato
plants.

We only have a few, and although I have plans to build a fence this year
around the back yard, I may build a temporary portable fence just to drop
around the few tomato plants.

Has anyone tried any of the other deer preventatives? I've read that you
can tie bar soap...but I've never tried that.

--
Lance

Old 29-05-2003, 05:23 AM
EHMAXEY

Eaten: Irish Spring soap hanging from the nerby trees....

Old 29-05-2003, 02:56 PM
Wilhelmina

eaten: ripe figs, unripe pears. Fruits were on branches 3 ft. high
and deer friends left droppings. :-)

Old 29-05-2003, 04:08 PM
Lance R.

Hahahaha. Thats hilarious. We have left a light on outside the last
few nights and no more eating has been done. I don't know how long that
will last.

--
Lance

Old 09-06-2003, 10:44 PM
Tom

Lance:

Bar soap does NOT work. We tried Irish Spring. They either ate the soap
or it disintegrated. In any case they ate the azaleas where the soap was
hanging.

Tom