Old 24-05-2003, 05:21 PM
Dennis Brown

Default Xmas cactus blooming

Can you believe it is the end of May and our Christmas cactus is blooming
with more buds coming on it each day? Can anyone tell us why this is
happening... we don't mind but are very curious about it.

Den

Old 24-05-2003, 09:59 PM
Anne Lurie

I have no idea why, but my Christmas Cactus also has a few blooms on it, in
addition to having produced many more new leaves(?) than usual --
including a "4-bagger" where 4 leaves are sprouting from the same joint!

I repotted it a year or two ago, and I've been more diligent about
remembering to fertilize the houseplants, so maybe that's it.

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

Old 26-05-2003, 01:32 AM
mgeost

"Dennis Brown" wrote in message m...
Can you believe it is the end of May and our Christmas cactus is blooming
with more buds coming on it each day? Can anyone tell us why this is
happening... we don't mind but are very curious about it.

Den

I've always heard that the way to get Christmas cacti to bloom is to
not water them. I don't imagine the cacti know what time of year it
is but simply respond to the lack of water by trying to produce seed.
FWIW, my experience is that a lack of water does indeed force bloom in
Christmas cacti.

For another example of "don't you know what day this is?" behavior in
plants, I traveled from NC to northwest Florida back in April.
Passing through small towns in southern Alabama (eg. Opp) and northern
Florida (eg. Florala), I was amazed at displays of hundreds of
amaryllis blooms. Most were in garden beds but, in some cases, they
were even used as foundation plantings with spectacular results. They
certainly didn't look to be hybrids and were as red as a harlot's
dress. Quite impressive plants when "au naturale".
Old 30-05-2003, 03:44 PM
C.L. Lassiter

Dennis Brown wrote:
Can you believe it is the end of May and our Christmas cactus is blooming
with more buds coming on it each day? Can anyone tell us why this is
happening... we don't mind but are very curious about it.

Same thing happened with my Thanksgiving cactus. 2 complete
blooms--1 its regular time, 1 in April into May. I'm unsure why, but I
did cross the plants (different colors), harvested the seeds, and grew
them. I was hoping that maybe something in the genetics was causing a 2
bloom cycle, but now I guess maybe not since a couple of others are having
similar experiences.

cl

Xmas-cactus plant blooming now. Daniel_B Gardening 4 13-04-2005 02:42 PM
Xmas cactus question Wishy13764 Gardening 1 23-11-2004 03:44 AM
Zygocactus/Xmas Cactus David Ross Gardening 37 28-07-2004 06:02 PM
xmas cactus Sammy' Gardening 1 11-12-2003 02:02 AM
"Christmas cactus" blooming Mceezee Gardening 4 15-11-2003 07:42 PM