Old 27-05-2003, 01:56 AM
Cynthia Hines

Default Where can I find the perfect African Violet?

Is it too early in the year to find African Violets in the stores? I have
been checking the usual sources (Lowe's, Home Depot, Wal-Mart). If they have
any, they are scraggely. I have been checking regularly because I know the
key to buying plants from these places is to get them before the lack of
care ruins them.

The last couple of years, the selection has been outstanding. What gives?

Old 28-05-2003, 01:08 AM
Susan Hogarth

Cynthia Hines wrote:

Is it too early in the year to find African Violets in the stores? I have
been checking the usual sources (Lowe's, Home Depot, Wal-Mart). If they
have any, they are scraggely. I have been checking regularly because I
know the key to buying plants from these places is to get them before the
lack of care ruins them.

The last couple of years, the selection has been outstanding. What gives?

I found decent little ones at Home Depot last week. The DH of course said
goodbye to them right away, as he has little (err, *no*) faith in my
plant-rearing ability.

Nice flowers on them, and inexpensive. Even if they die they're worth it

--
Susan Hogarth
Old 29-05-2003, 05:23 AM
Susan H. Simko

Susan Hogarth wrote:

I found decent little ones at Home Depot last week. The DH of course said
goodbye to them right away, as he has little (err, *no*) faith in my
plant-rearing ability.

Nice flowers on them, and inexpensive. Even if they die they're worth it

Try putting them in one of the pot-in-a-pot african violet pots. It
takes care of watering them and you don't have to worry about getting
water on the leaves. I only have to top off the water level in the
outside pot about every two weeks. I also always use Schultz African
Violet food when I do. My african violet is sitting on a table in front
of a east facing window and is happily growing and blooming away. I'm
amazed as I have never been able to keep an African Violet alive in the
past.

Susan
shsimko at duke dot edu

Old 29-05-2003, 02:44 PM

On Tue, 27 May 2003 00:48:03 GMT, "Cynthia Hines"
wrote:

Is it too early in the year to find African Violets in the stores? I have
been checking the usual sources (Lowe's, Home Depot, Wal-Mart). If they have
any, they are scraggely. I have been checking regularly because I know the
key to buying plants from these places is to get them before the lack of
care ruins them.

The last couple of years, the selection has been outstanding. What gives?

I've seen them in Kroger and Fresh Market grocery stores just this
week.