Old 29-05-2003, 04:44 PM
Susan Hogarth

Default what the *beagles* eat at my house

On 29 May 2003 06:49:26 -0700, in article
, Wilhelmina wrote:

eaten: ripe figs, unripe pears. Fruits were on branches 3 ft. high
and deer friends left droppings. :-)

Note that beagles can also do quite a bit of fruit eating but of course they
aren't much good at picking the fruit off the tree.

My old male beagle Ed *adores* fruit, and the beginning of mulberry season was a
revelation to him. We walk on campus (NCSU) at night a lot, and I'm constantly
dragging him away (poor guy) from some apple core (I let him eat them if Bill
isn't watching) or unripe peachy-things (what are those fruits near Gardner in
the brickyard?) or smooshed mulberries or ...

In our yard I know the pears and apples are getting a good start because he
beelines to the trees looking for early windfall. I fully expect him to be stung
sooner rather than later messing around all that rotten fruit. My apples,
incidentally, seemed to have suffered some fireblight but now seem to be coming
out of it. Has anyone else noticed it this spring?

The beagles *really* glory in tomato season, though. Is it too late to plant
them? If it is, they'll be sneaking over the neighbor's garden to raid the
tomatos. I've never seen dogs so devoted to fruit as these two I have now. I
think Ed would rather have a juicy apple (or a shiveled one covered in ants)
than a cheese sandwich. I worry about the peaches (they are right on our
property line, so no one ever sprays them and they rot every year), because if
he gets the soft part of the pits I think he could get ill. Probably he swallows
them whole, though...

Are there other fruit-eating dogs or are mine wierd? My collie-thing will eat
some fruit, but isn't passionate about it as the beags are.

- Susan
Old 29-05-2003, 05:44 PM
Lance R.

"Susan Hogarth" wrote in message
Are there other fruit-eating dogs or are mine wierd? My collie-thing will

eat
some fruit, but isn't passionate about it as the beags are.

My dogs will eat E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G !!!! Susan, you might get a kick out
of this: http://www.lkgallery.com/doghouse/.

Lance

Old 29-05-2003, 07:21 PM
Marcy Hege

Do your beagles eat corn on the cob? When I was growing up, our dogs would just
go crazy if we gave them the corn cobs after dinner. They also loved
watermelon!
Old 29-05-2003, 10:08 PM
Susan Hogarth

On 29 May 2003 18:20:33 GMT, in article
, Marcy Hege wrote:

Do your beagles eat corn on the cob?

My beagles eat styrofoam *packing peanuts* and *carboard*, so yes, I suspect
they'd love corncobs

When I was growing up, our dogs would just
go crazy if we gave them the corn cobs after dinner.

That's supposed to be dangerous because of the potential for choking or
blockage, but I think if properly supervised they would love it - all that
butter and corn

They also loved
watermelon!

Oh, yes. Even the collie-thing eats watermelon

--
Susan
Buy some raffle tickets or else!
Old 29-05-2003, 10:08 PM
Susan Hogarth

On Thu, 29 May 2003 16:43:48 GMT, in article
, Lance R. wrote:

"Susan Hogarth" wrote in message
Are there other fruit-eating dogs or are mine wierd? My collie-thing will

eat
some fruit, but isn't passionate about it as the beags are.

My dogs will eat E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G !!!!

Well, the beagles will in our house. The collie-thing is a bit pickier. It's
just funny when people worry about deer in their gardens and our biggest pest is
the dogs

Susan, you might get a kick out
of this: http://www.lkgallery.com/doghouse/.

Very nice! I'll share that with our photo-guru to use in making her 'feature
dog' pictures - she's always looking for new ideas:

http://www.tribeagles.org/news/html/...umName=album32

I *LOVE* the murals (http://www.lkgallery.com/) by the way! Any chance you'd be
interested in donating one for beagle rescue to auction or raffle off?

And - have you ever done a 'cave painting'? I was thinking about that for one of
my walls - some stick-figure guys on horsebakc weilding spears and chasing bison

Old 30-05-2003, 12:08 AM
dookie

rat terriers *rock*.

dookie (& sweet jane the rattie)

Old 30-05-2003, 12:44 PM

Susan Hogarth wrote:
Do your beagles eat corn on the cob?

My beagles eat styrofoam *packing peanuts* and *carboard*, so yes, I suspect
they'd love corncobs

Mary, our three-year-old neutered female Scottie, loves sushi--
"tuna roll" in particular. I've heard that raw salmon can be
bad for dogs so we haven't tried her on that. She's also a
fanatic for carrots.

Ken Kuzenski AC4RD kuzen001 at acpub .duke .edu
All disclaimers apply, see? www.duke.edu/~kuzen001
Old 30-05-2003, 02:32 PM

, Wilhelmina wrote:

[...]

FWIW. I remember a phrase my grandfather used. "Shaking like a dog
shitting persimmon seeds". In his case this would have been coon
hounds.

- Susan

--
Wes Dukes (wdukesNOatSPAMpoboxdotcom)
Old 01-06-2003, 01:44 AM
Mountain Man

On Thu, 29 May 2003 15:43:06 GMT, Susan Hogarth
wrote:
snipped interesting stuff
Are there other fruit-eating dogs or are mine wierd? My collie-thing will eat
some fruit, but isn't passionate about it as the beags are.

- Susan

Ours (beagle, chow/german shepard mix, lab/terrier mix) have an
incredible afinity to dried bananas. They ask for watermelon when
they smell it in the house, and we buy the 2 for 1 strawberries
whenever possible so we can get at least a couple of 'em.