GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Zinnias, do I deadhead old blooms? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/north-carolina/30183-zinnias-do-i-deadhead-old-blooms.html)

Michael Volow 02-06-2003 02:58 PM

Zinnias, do I deadhead old blooms?

With zinnias, do I deadhead all old withered bloom? Thanks in advance.

Penny Morgan 02-06-2003 06:32 PM

Zinnias, do I deadhead old blooms?

Yes. Cut them off just below the bloom. You'll have a much fresher looking
flower while allowing more energy to go into producing new blooms.
Deadheading can be done to just about any flower which leaves a dead bloom.
I even deadhead my gardenias. My baby Kleim's Hardy is just starting to
bloom now. Remember to water early in the morning so the water evaporates
from the leaves during the daylight hours. Zinnia's are prone to powdery
mildew fungus which comes from humid, wet conditions on the leaves. Hope
this helps.

Penny