Old 02-06-2003, 03:58 PM
Michael Volow

Default Zinnias, do I deadhead old blooms?

With zinnias, do I deadhead all old withered bloom? Thanks in advance.

Old 02-06-2003, 07:32 PM
Penny Morgan

Yes. Cut them off just below the bloom. You'll have a much fresher looking
flower while allowing more energy to go into producing new blooms.
Deadheading can be done to just about any flower which leaves a dead bloom.
I even deadhead my gardenias. My baby Kleim's Hardy is just starting to
bloom now. Remember to water early in the morning so the water evaporates
from the leaves during the daylight hours. Zinnia's are prone to powdery
mildew fungus which comes from humid, wet conditions on the leaves. Hope
this helps.

Penny
"Michael Volow" wrote in message
With zinnias, do I deadhead all old withered bloom? Thanks in advance.

To deadhead or not to deadhead !!! SilverSurfer Gardening 0 07-05-2013 07:06 PM
Prune and deadhead to shape growth and force blooms [email protected] Gardening 0 12-11-2007 07:15 PM
Deadheading Zinnias????? TOM KAN PA Gardening 3 21-07-2004 05:02 AM
Deadhead Rosa "Old Blush"? Steve Roses 2 19-04-2003 10:56 PM
do zinnias self-seed? Jane VR Australia 2 05-04-2003 07:36 AM