Old 02-06-2003, 04:20 PM
Gena

Default Philadelphus coronarius (mock orange)

is anyone in the area growing mock orange (Philadelphus coronarius)?

i have not seen one here, and was wondering how they fare, as i just planted
one that i bought mail order. it's in a part shade, moist well drained spot
with great topsiol and mulched with compost.

thanks,
gena

Old 02-06-2003, 04:56 PM
Daniel B. Martin

is anyone in the area growing mock orange (Philadelphus coronarius)?

I have two bushes growing at the side of my house. They have already
bloomed this year. An annual treat!

My bushes are more than ten years old, and were grown from root stock dug
out of my father's New York City back yard. My bushes aren't as vigorous
as Dad's. It appears that mock orange will grow in our Wake County climate
but does not thrive.

See the propagation map at
http://www.bbg.org/sci/nymf/encyclop...r/phi0010d.htm

Daniel B. Martin

Old 02-06-2003, 06:32 PM
Penny Morgan

It should do very well in your location. My neighbor had one in her back
yard and it smelled heavenly in the spring. It was in a morning shade and
some sun in the afternoon situation and did very well.

Penny

Old 02-06-2003, 07:32 PM
Marcy Hege

I bought two Philadelphus coronarius "Ïnnocence" last fall and haven't figured
out where to plant yet. Last fall, I did repot into larger pots. They started
blooming about a moth ago and are now just finishing up. So, they survived the
winter in pots and did flower this season.

My grandmother had one about 35 miles southeast of Raleigh when I was growing
up so they do survive in this area. I think you don't see them because
mockorange is an old-fashioned plant. I have seen them at the Farmer's Market.

Marcy
Old 03-06-2003, 10:20 PM
Gena

thanks all, you've given me hope i absolutely love their fragance, so
i'll be babying it to some size. and it's the same cultivar as marcy's,
innocence.

thanks!
gena