Old 02-06-2003, 06:44 PM
Susan Hogarth

Default Pears

I have a pear and an apple in my front yard, and another variety of each in my
backyard. They seem to take turns being productive. This year it's the turn of
the front-yard tress. These trees recive no pruning, spraying, etc. (Last year
the backyard apple got so heavy with fruit it split :-( )

The front pear has pears in clusters of two and three. Should I cut off all but
one in each of these clusters? Is it too late for that?

--
Susan
Buy some raffle tickets or else!
Old 02-06-2003, 09:32 PM
Lance R.

"Susan Hogarth" wrote in message
I have a pear and an apple in my front yard, and another variety of each

in my
backyard. They seem to take turns being productive. This year it's the

turn of
the front-yard tress. These trees recive no pruning, spraying, etc. (Last

year
the backyard apple got so heavy with fruit it split :-( )

The front pear has pears in clusters of two and three. Should I cut off

all but
one in each of these clusters? Is it too late for that?

I don't think its ever too late - but it will just be more and more
pointless the older the fruit becomes. You can cut off as many as you want,
it will make the others bigger and better. Certainly cut off enough to at
least keep the tree from splitting.

Lance

Old 02-06-2003, 11:32 PM
Anne Lurie

Susan,

I "knock off" (literally, no implements necessary but thumb & forefinger)
all but one pear for each "fruiting spur."

Then, I go back & remove every other pear from branches that look too weak
to support that much fruit. When I say every other pear, I obviously mean
"this one, that one" not *all* of them!

I don't think that the pear tree would split, but I figure that having its
branches sag to the ground can't possibly be good for the tree, not to
mention that it's nearly impossible to mow near the tree!

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

"Susan Hogarth" wrote in message
I have a pear and an apple in my front yard, and another variety of each

in my
backyard. They seem to take turns being productive. This year it's the

turn of
the front-yard tress. These trees recive no pruning, spraying, etc. (Last

year
the backyard apple got so heavy with fruit it split :-( )

The front pear has pears in clusters of two and three. Should I cut off

all but
one in each of these clusters? Is it too late for that?

--
Susan
Buy some raffle tickets or else!
http://www.tribeagles.org/raffle/

Pears - Pears.jpg (0/1) Steve Newport Edible Gardening 1 26-06-2006 06:23 AM
ripening pears mark United Kingdom 3 24-09-2003 09:22 PM
Do Woodpeckers Systematically Destroy Bradford Pears? Derek Mark Edding North Carolina 14 01-05-2003 05:47 PM
Do Woodpeckers Systematically Destroy Bradford Pears? Derek Mark Edding North Carolina 14 31-03-2003 12:20 AM
Ripening schedule for pears? krm United Kingdom 1 01-02-2003 10:22 AM