Old 03-06-2003, 02:08 AM
Cynthia Hines

Default How do you divide Hostas?

How do you divide Hostas?

Old 03-06-2003, 02:46 AM
Penny Morgan

The easiest way to divide hostas is to dig the whole clump of plants and
gently pull the smaller plants apart at the roots. They should separate
pretty easily and then you should be able to replant them separately. Make
sure to water well if you are attempting this now. The best time to divide
them is in the fall before they die back. The temps are cooler and it gives
the root systems time to get down deeper through the winter before heat
stresses the plant.

Penny
"Cynthia Hines" wrote in message
thlink.net...
How do you divide Hostas?

Old 09-06-2003, 11:32 PM
bsauls

I have had success simply placing a shovel in the center of the plant and
cutting it in half as I dig up the portion on the front side of the shovel.
I have done this with about 20 plants and all have survived without apparent
stress.