Old 06-06-2003, 04:08 PM
Terry & Diane

Default What is eating my pepper plants

The leaves on my pepper plants are being eaten away by something. I don't
see any thing on or around the plant.
I don't believe it is a rabbit as looks like they are being shaved off on
the sides.

Anyone else having the same problem ??
Or have an idea what it is and what I can do to control this problem.

Old 06-06-2003, 05:56 PM
Penny Morgan

It may be caterpillars or the Tomato Hornworm. Have you found any crumbly,
green/brown droppings on the leaves? They usually leave these after
feasting on tomatoes and peppers. If you can't find any sign of
caterpillars, you could still use Bt dust or concentrate liquid on them. If
there are any caterpillars hiding out, Bt will kill them without harming
other bugs in the vicinity. It's an organic bacteria that targets just
caterpillars or chewing larvae. Usually, when leaves are chewed from the
edges, it means a caterpillar is doing the damage, so that's why I
recommended the treatment above. If you'd rather not use Bt, then just look
very closely and try to locate what it is and hand pick them off.

Penny
om...

Old 06-06-2003, 07:32 PM
Susan H. Simko

Penny Morgan wrote:

It may be caterpillars or the Tomato Hornworm. Have you found any crumbly,
green/brown droppings on the leaves? They usually leave these after
feasting on tomatoes and peppers.

BTW, I just learned that I killed off all "my" hummingbird moths last
year. (I love to watch them.) I didn't know until recently that tomato
hornworms turn into hummingbird moths. Big dilemma - tomatoes or
moths... *sigh*

Maybe I'll plant one tomato plant up on the bank specifically for the
hornworms ot eat. *grin*

Susan
shsimko at duke dot edu

Old 06-06-2003, 10:08 PM
Tom Ellison

If you are successful in making this work, please let me know how you
trained the hornworms to eat only the one plant you set aside for them.
I've been looking for a new trainer in my flea circus.

Tom Ellison

Old 10-06-2003, 04:56 PM
EHMAXEY

Deer?