Old 13-06-2003, 09:32 PM
Gena

Default propane mosquito things...

has anyone bought one of these, and does it actually work?

they've come down in price tremendously, and so i would not mind investing
in one, but if they don't work, i don't want to be out $150.

feedback please!

gena

Old 14-06-2003, 03:44 PM
Laura Van Sant

Consumer Reports had a brief mention of three of these devices recently and,
unfortunately, gave top marks to the most expensive: the Mosquito Magnet.
They said a cheap one sold at Sam's Club and another one whose name escapes
me didn't work as well.

I did some newsgroup searching recently and there was a lot of disagreement
from purchasers about the effectiveness of even the Mosquito Magnet. The
only one that got nearly universal praise was their top model, which I
believe sells for $1,000 plus. The two smaller and cheaper Mosquito Magnets
(I think the smallest one can be purchased at Home Depot for around $400)
got mixed reviews.

The Coleman model apparently can overheat and start fires if placed near
something flammable. Apparently this problem still occurs despite changes
made after a recall.

Old 16-06-2003, 06:06 PM

In article , Gena wrote:
has anyone bought one of these, and does it actually work?

they've come down in price tremendously, and so i would not mind investing
in one, but if they don't work, i don't want to be out $150.

feedback please!

I have often wondered about things that attract a pest. Seems like for
everyone that is killed that 4 more replace it and stop by and gnaw on
me before hand. I seem to remember where that holds for japanese beetle
traps and bugzappers.

It would only seem to work if all the neighbors had one running at the
same time.

gena

spam@www.spam.com is a garbage address.
Old 19-06-2003, 04:20 PM
Doc Muhlbaier

I bought the Coleman Mosquito Deleto from Lowes. I've had it about a month
now and I've had more mosquito bites than it has caught mosquitos in it's
trap. I've moved it a couple of times and still no luck. It's got a 60 day
money back warranty, so it's likely going back.

Doc

Old 21-06-2003, 07:44 PM
Doctoroe

We've got a SkeeterVac, I believe Blue Rino makes them. It definitely
has cut down on the number of mosquitos in the back yard. Kills
zillions of mosquitos.
Those crackling light things have no effect on mosquitos because they
are not attracted to bright light.. fyi

Old 12-07-2003, 03:32 PM
MJG in MI

I live in Waterford Township, Michigan. I placed a brand new Mosquito
Deleto out near a watershed at the end of my property. In the 2
minutes I spent locking the trap to a tree to keep it from getting
stolen, I was bit nine times and must have killed at least 10 more
mosquitos. With the trap sitting out there running 24 hours a day, it
trapped zero mosquitos. This thing is a joke and I hope a few State
Attorney Generals' file fraud suits against Coleman. I would not
spend the cost of propane for this piece of crap.

Once Bitten, Twice shy in Michigan!