Old 14-06-2003, 06:31 AM
Marcy Hege

Default Mosquito question

What do you use to keep the mosquitos from making you their main course for
dinner when you're working in the yard? Looking for something other than the
normal Off or other compounds containing Deet.

Old 14-06-2003, 10:08 PM
mark

Marcy Hege wrote:

What do you use to keep the mosquitos from making you their main course for
dinner when you're working in the yard? Looking for something other than the
normal Off or other compounds containing Deet.

I find skin so soft pretty useless. Some people swear by it. Deet sprays
or lotions have been proven the most effective. If you can. try to find
any standing water and empty it. Kid's toys and plates under planter
pots are the biggest offenders. You could limit your gardening to windy
days. With the wet weather, skeeters are really bad along with every
other byting insect.
Mark

Old 15-06-2003, 12:20 AM
Anne Lurie

I suggest Avon Skin So Soft -- it's available (or it was) as a combination
sunscreen/insect repellent. I don't have it right now, as it disappeared
into my husband's fishing boat when I was not looking!

BTW, I originally bought Skin So Soft bath oil in a bait & tackle shop in
Florida (or maybe Texas), after the biggest burliest guy I'd ever seen
bought some! As a birdwatcher, I found it worked great -- but my hubby
insisted I not apply it until *after* I got out of the car!

Note: these days, in light of West Nile, I suggest Deet unless you are
allergic to it. (It was different when being bitten by mosquitoes was just
extremely annoying, but not a health problem.)

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

Old 15-06-2003, 01:20 AM
Don S.

In article , "Anne Lurie" wrote:
I suggest Avon Skin So Soft -- it's available (or it was) as a combination
sunscreen/insect repellent. I don't have it right now, as it disappeared
into my husband's fishing boat when I was not looking!

Consumer Reports just did a review on this. ISTR that the Avon product was
not very highly rated, although I have never tried it. I've had good luck
with the OFF product.

-don

Old 16-06-2003, 01:44 AM
Pat Brothers

I use the Bert's Bees product at work. Works pretty well and feels and
smells great. It is an oil with citrus overtones. Wouldn't mind it as a
perfume.

Marcy Hege wrote:

What do you use to keep the mosquitos from making you their main course for
dinner when you're working in the yard? Looking for something other than the
normal Off or other compounds containing Deet.

Pat Brothers
The Powell House
Wake Forest
The Perennials Lady at Atlantic Ave. Orchid and Garden Center

Old 16-06-2003, 06:05 PM

In article , C.L. Lassiter wrote:
Marcy Hege wrote:
What do you use to keep the mosquitos from making you their main course for
dinner when you're working in the yard? Looking for something other than the
normal Off or other compounds containing Deet.

And I have another question. I have a bird bath and orchids with
pebble trays. How long does the larval stage last? i.e., how often
should I be changing the water? Every day? Every other day? Once an
eon?

Seems like I read 7-10 days. I use those mosquito dunks in our bird
bath. I don't use a whole one but break it up. Could do the same in
the trays. So changing water ever week should prevent them also.
Notice larve only show up in stagnant water. I have always wondered if
larger bird baths could just be agitated to kill the larve.
cl

spam@www.spam.com is a garbage address.
Old 16-06-2003, 06:06 PM

In article , Don S. wrote:
In article , "Anne Lurie" wrote:
I suggest Avon Skin So Soft -- it's available (or it was) as a combination
sunscreen/insect repellent. I don't have it right now, as it disappeared
into my husband's fishing boat when I was not looking!

Consumer Reports just did a review on this. ISTR that the Avon product was
not very highly rated, although I have never tried it. I've had good luck
with the OFF product.

My wife says it is not effective. Wonder if the people who think it
works actually have some natural repellant ( more like they are less
attractive)?

I don't like the way deet feels on my skin. Knowing my luck I will come
down with west nile since I only use it as a last resort. I prefer to
put up with a bite or two.
-don

spam@www.spam.com is a garbage address.
Old 16-06-2003, 06:06 PM

In article , Marcy Hege wrote:
What do you use to keep the mosquitos from making you their main course for
dinner when you're working in the yard? Looking for something other than the
normal Off or other compounds containing Deet.

Those OFF lanterns that you put the cardboard piece in that lasts for
about 4 hours will work if there is not too much of a breeze. You may
need two.

A fogger is also a good investment. Again will not work in a breeze.
I have wondered if I could rejuvenate those OFF cards by dipping them
inthe fogger juice and use a regular tea candle and save money. Think
they both use a prytherin (sp?) of some kind. I also saw a hose end
sprayer bottle that purported to repel them for up to 3 months but it
was a prytherin also and I doubted the claim. It treated up to 4000 sq
ft.

I am thinking that since mosquitoes do not hang around in a stiff breeze
that perhaps an all weather electric fan is a niche market to get into.
If such a thing exists I would mount one in our rose arbor.

spam@www.spam.com is a garbage address.

Old 16-06-2003, 07:32 PM
Anne Lurie

Thanks, Pat for reminding me about the Burt's Bees insect repellent! I
totally forgot I had it until just now. The one I have (don't know how many
Burt's Bees has) contains lemongrass & citronella oil, and it *does* smell
neat & refreshing.

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh