Old 14-06-2003, 07:24 PM
Beth Peace

Default Hummingbird moth?

Someone mentioned hummingbird moths the other day but I can't find the post.
A couple of nights ago we saw a very large moth constantly dancing around
our poppies (this was probably close to midnight, out for a walk). He sure
looked like a hummer, never resting, always fluttering. After watching him
for quite a while, I got the camera - and he didn't leave! So, for those in
the know, is this a hummingbird moth?

http://home.earthlink.net/~beth.peace/moth.html

Old 14-06-2003, 08:32 PM
Daniel B. Martin

So, for those in the know, is this a hummingbird moth?

I think not. You may Google on Hummingbird Moth and find lots of nice
pictures. See, for instance,
http://www.colostate.edu/Depts/CoopE...s/hummingb.htm

The moth's behavior is one reason for its name. You see a colorful blur
which dances from one blossom to the next, with the speed and grace of a
miniature hummingbird.

Daniel B. Martin

Old 15-06-2003, 08:08 PM
Tim Rowles

On Sat, 14 Jun 2003 14:22:27 -0400, "Beth Peace"
wrote:

is this a hummingbird moth?

http://home.earthlink.net/~beth.peace/moth.html

Daniel M. already pointed you to a good picture, although the
variety we get is a little 'fuzzier' than in the picture. They're
definitely fatter through the thorax and much faster in wing
speed than almost any other moth I can think of.

Our house in the country has these visit fairly often in
season, and I just love 'em. They do seem to like the same
kind of flowers as the 'actual' hummingbirds, and at our
place are found most often feeding on the buddleia blossoms
during the daytime -- so if you have buddleias, in particular,
keep an eye out for them.

-- Tim

trowles at rtmx dot net

Old 16-06-2003, 03:20 AM

wrote:

Someone mentioned hummingbird moths the other day but I can't find the post.
A couple of nights ago we saw a very large moth constantly dancing around
our poppies (this was probably close to midnight, out for a walk). He sure
looked like a hummer, never resting, always fluttering. After watching him
for quite a while, I got the camera - and he didn't leave! So, for those in
the know, is this a hummingbird moth?

http://home.earthlink.net/~beth.peace/moth.html

The photo is a Polyphemus moth -- not all that rare around here.
What you refer to as a hummingbird moth is actually a Sphinx moth.

kj