Old 16-06-2003, 11:20 PM
Anne Lurie

Default Centipede Invasion! Help!

I seem to have been invaded by centipedes this year! While I can deal with
them outside, as I'm sure they serve some useful purpose, I simply cannot
stand having them inside my house!!!!!

Does anyone have any suggestions??? I bought some "bug stuff" and sprayed
the baseboards of my house, but it's had only minimal effect on these
critters.

Are they hatching inside and trying to get out? If so, who's their mama? I
want to meet her & deal with her.

I know they can swim (don't even bother to ask me how I figured that one
out), but do goldfish eat them? (just wondering, not that keen on
transporting centipedes to water garden unless it involves use of a
*serious* water pistol -- or getting really, really creative with the
trusty shop vac!)

Thanks,

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh
just follow the teeny little footprints , , , ,

aargh

Old 17-06-2003, 06:30 AM
Marcy Hege

We had the same problem at our old house. They love damp and organic. Guess the
damp may explain your explosion this year.

We tried some DIY fixes wih various "stuff" but then I began to wonder what
toxic compound might result from this stuff and that stuff mixing together.

When it got to the point I couldn't stand it anymore (they crunch when you step
on them) and we were shoveling them up by the 5-gallon bucket, I called in a
professional pest control operator to deal with it. (I knew there must have
been a reason the former owners left the name and number taped inside a kitchen
cabinet.)

When we moved to this house (five years after the attack), I found dead
centipedes in boxes of packed dishes in the attic (three stories up!)

Best of luck in getting rid of them.
Old 17-06-2003, 02:56 PM
Will Cook

For the last few weeks here in Durham we've been having an incredible
invasion year for small millipedes, not centipedes. They're thin, about
1 inch long, and slowly move in a relatively straight line, slowly
moving their heads back and forth slightly. Millipedes have two pairs
of legs per segment vs. one pair for centipedes and tend to move much
more slowly. In the building where I work we've been inundated with
literally thousands of them every day. Seems no point in poisoning them
- just sweep them back outside. The invasion should end before too long
if the rain ever stops.

Will

Old 17-06-2003, 05:08 PM
Tomatolord

Sister in law had the same problem a few years back

They come to moisture and decaying materials

So she put in a french drain
and
Then applied steady doses of dursban around the house to reduce the
population

Now she is centipede free!!!

tomatolord

Old 20-06-2003, 03:08 PM
dookie

they come in looking for dry ground. i had great success reducing (but not
completely eliminating) them by raking all the detritus away from the
foundation, all the way around the house. anyplace you've got mulch or
leaves or anything orgainc up against the house, rake it away so you've got
a 1 foot 'moat' of bare soil all the way around.

fwiw,

dookie

om...