Old 19-06-2003, 12:08 AM
DR Ranch

Default Tree Rains Water

wondering what makes a tree almost rain like drop water.......

Old 19-06-2003, 02:44 PM
Raleighgirl

"DR Ranch" wrote in message
| wondering what makes a tree almost rain like drop water.......

I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but will make a stab in the
dark...
The ice storm caused the tops of several of my river birches to
hang/bend over. For several months these trees dropped
water/sap. I assumed the tree was attempting to repair tears
caused by all of the bending.
Is that what you mean?
Jeny

Old 19-06-2003, 06:08 PM
John Kohl

Is it a golden raintree? (http://greenwoodnursery.com/page.cfm/1278)
(I wonder how that tree got its name.)

Old 19-06-2003, 06:20 PM
Eileen Gregory

ok I'm going to take a stab at this.....if you mean that when you're
standing under the tree, you can feel tiny "water" droplets falling on
you, I would speculate that the tree is covered with small caterpillars,
and they're "releasing" the droplets (peeing).
How's that?
Eileen

Old 19-06-2003, 07:20 PM
Raleighgirl

"Eileen Gregory" wrote in message
| ok I'm going to take a stab at this.....if you mean that when
you're
| standing under the tree, you can feel tiny "water" droplets
falling on
| you, I would speculate that the tree is covered with small
caterpillars,
| and they're "releasing" the droplets (peeing).
| How's that?

EEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW! Gross!

Old 19-06-2003, 07:44 PM
Susan H. Simko

wondering what makes a tree almost rain like drop water.......

My indoor potted pothos rain after I water them. Little water droplets
gather at the tip of furled leaves, etc. and will drip off. Perhaps
something like this is happening to your tree?

Susan
shsimko at duke dot edu

Old 20-06-2003, 01:32 AM
DR Ranch

Yes this may be it.....I live in Dallas Tx where the winters can fool the
trees to bloom and a freeze follow.....hardly any seeds dropped.....I think
this is a maple tree......of course worse can happen and it did in that hail
stripped much of the tree of what leaves it had.....am I of course weird but
I remember a horror movie that people bleed blood and it was call stigmata
??? yet this was a biological term and thus switched to a medical term in
the movie.....is this what is happening maybe.....

"Susan Hogarth" wrote in message
On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 23:08:01 GMT, in article
, DR Ranch

wrote:

wondering what makes a tree almost rain like drop water.......

Could be guttation:

http://www.plant-care.com/PlantTips/1999/081399.htm

Pic (on grass leaves):

http://www.thm.btinternet.co.uk/bio/8/8kguttation.html

more pics:

http://www.dupla.com/e028_3.htm

Not sure how common it is in trees, but this is certainly the weather for

it...

--
Susan
Buy some raffle tickets or else!

Old 20-06-2003, 03:20 AM
Brent Harsh

"DR Ranch" wrote in message
| wondering what makes a tree almost rain like drop water.......

And here I was going to be a smartass and say "Uhhhm, all the rain we've
been having?" Sure enough, every time I go outside and stand under the
trees, I get wet! grin

Others have posted much more helpful suggestions...

--
Brent Harsh - KD4PBO
Cary, North Carolina, USA