Old 23-06-2003, 03:20 PM
Margaret Lillard

Default Dwarf lantana

This weekend, at the Farmers Market, I picked up some very pretty dwarf
lantana that was promoted to me as a perennial. I thought lantana was
considered an annual in zone 7; anybody familiar with a dwarf variety and
whether it can winter over, or whether lantana in general can be
encouraged to survive the winter?

Thanks

Margaret

Old 23-06-2003, 08:08 PM
Penny Morgan

There are some lantana varieties that "may" overwinter in our zone 7b. The
toughest one is Miss Huff (orange and yellow and quite large). I really
haven't heard of others surviving, but I haven't tried overwintering all
that many. I'm familiar with the Patriot series which are low growing
lantana and New Gold is also a spreading type. If they are planted in very
rich soil, sometimes they become much larger than anticipated. The Patriot
and New Gold have not overwintered in my experiences. The best way to try
overwintering lantana is to plant it in a sheltered spot near your house or
a building - not in an open bed in the yard. I used to work and sell
flowers at Fairview Garden Center and we did not guarantee that lantana
would survive. I now own and operate my own flower planting service in N.
Raleigh, so my exposure to plant information is excellent. I'm always
talking with growers, nurseries and my customers. I have not heard anything
about a new lantana that will survive. I do have one customer that has Miss
Huff and it does come back very nicely each year. It's in the back of her
brick home in a bed that is very close to the house in Preston Estates in
Cary.

Penny
Flowers By The Yard

Old 23-06-2003, 08:08 PM
Vince DelGobbo

I was told by the people at Big Bloomers in Sanford that the only variety
they promote as perennial is "Mrs. Huff", though others may or may not
overwinter.

Vince

Old 23-06-2003, 09:07 PM
Arwen Long

Lantana is also VERY easy to root from cuttings... cut... water... roots.
So you could take a couple cuttings in August/September and have
replacements if it doesn't overwinter.

Old 24-06-2003, 02:20 PM
Wilhelmina

I must have a 'Ms. Huff' as it has always been behaving as a perennial the
past 4 years. She gets a good pruning every winter, and she keeps coming
back in spring. It had once grown into a very large bush, has orange and
red flowers, gets full sun, and resides in very rich dirt, in Morrisville.
Hummingbirds love it!

Old 24-06-2003, 04:08 PM
newshost.unx.sas.com

Pruning 'Miss Huff' in early winter could kill it. Southern Living magazine
had an article about this awhile back. The stems are woody and, if pruned
in early winter, moisture gets in the stem and rots the plant. Pruning
should be done in the spring.

Judy

om...

Old 26-06-2003, 03:22 AM
Pat Brothers

Miss Huff is hardy in our area but is far from dwarf. last year mine
measured 7 feet tall by 12 feet wide by the end of the season. Granny's
back yard is also hardy, although this past winter almost killed mine.
Athens Rose and Grandpa's Pumpkin patch are both billed as hardy.
Messenbrinks had a pink flowering variegated one that was billed as Zone
7. The folks who had it outside last winter lost it. I do not find this
conclusive. In general the big shrub forms seem to be more hardy then
the small spreading ones. It is a splendid plant and worth experimenting
with.

Margaret Lillard wrote:

This weekend, at the Farmers Market, I picked up some very pretty dwarf
lantana that was promoted to me as a perennial. I thought lantana was
considered an annual in zone 7; anybody familiar with a dwarf variety and
whether it can winter over, or whether lantana in general can be
encouraged to survive the winter?

Thanks

Margaret

Pat Brothers