Old 22-02-2003, 12:42 AM
Anne Lurie

Default Where to take a visiting gardener?

My oldest, dearest friend (from 4th grade, several decades ago) will be
visiting me this weekend.

I'm looking for suggestions to "show her a good time" that *don't only*
involve going to the local garden center & buying lots of neat plants that I
have to dig holes for -- don't get me wrong, I'm in favor of plants of all
kinds, it's the "hole digging" that our 50-something selves don't want to
squander our efforts on! (okay, okay, so I'm talking just about me --
just you wait, young'uns, you'll get there!)

I'd been thinking of a trip to Plant Delights, but it's not open to visitors
until May (according to the website).

Raulston Arboretum in Raleigh is a major attraction, especially since we can
have lunch at Neomonde. (I'm still trying to reconcile my "western PA girl"
friend who loved our lunch at Neomonde with the same person who *really*
enjoyed my lame attempt at barbecued ribs that evening, considering that she
had never eaten them -- and forget the fact that she now lives in
Memphis!!! --sorry, I digress, sigh..... I do that now & then)

" Back to gardens, Anne"

Okay, now that my guardian angel -- or one of the powers that be -- has
pointed me back to my topic, anybody have any suggestions?

Actually, I've never seen the Duke Gardens -- worth a trip?

Um, yeah -- I'm gonna answer my own question he Yes, it's worth the
trip, and No, it's really not that far -- except in my own mind!

Thanks for listening -- as if you had a choice!

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

Old 22-02-2003, 01:25 AM

In article , Anne Lurie wrote:
[...]

Yes, and the NC botanical gardens in Chapel Hill off 15-501. The newer
one near asheville is good too, but probably not until summer.

Old 22-02-2003, 05:10 PM
Elizabeth

You will love the Duke Gardens. They are huge (55 acres) and wonderful. Here
is the website: http://www.hr.duke.edu/dukegardens/dukegardens.html. Enjoy!

Elizabeth

. com...

Old 22-02-2003, 08:22 PM
Baine Carruthers

How 'bout Reynolda House in Winston. If the weathers bad you can still
catch the artwork.

--
Baine

. com...

Old 24-02-2003, 07:50 PM
Tomatolord

Just call plant delights and tell them you are coming. They will be glad to
either have someone go with you or let you take the tour by yourself

I have taken customers there all of the time - out of season

tomatolord

. com...

Old 25-02-2003, 01:47 AM
MAC

Duke Gardens is great - in the springtime. In the dead of winter,
though, I'm not sure they'll be quite up to snuff. Any chance you
could ask your friend to delay her trip until April?

MAC
--
Take out Chinese to reply.

Old 26-02-2003, 02:53 AM
Arwen Long

there are some nice things there even now -- i was in there just the other
day and there were some surprises

arwen