Old 27-02-2003, 01:00 AM
Hannah Barnum

Default fall suggestions

I am planning to be married in my garden this fall, likely october 11. I'd
love suggestions for plants that will have something to show at that time
(fruits, flowers, foliage?) - especially fast-growing vines to
cover/decorate the falling-down barns . . . any wildflowers? Most of the
space is full sun.
Thanks,
Hannah

Old 27-02-2003, 10:53 AM
MT Byers

Hannah Barnum wrote:
I am planning to be married in my garden this fall, likely october 11. I'd
love suggestions for plants that will have something to show at that time
(fruits, flowers, foliage?) - especially fast-growing vines to
cover/decorate the falling-down barns . . . any wildflowers? Most of the
space is full sun.

By that time, you could have some impressive displays from a combination
of hyacinth beans and moonflowers. The moonflowers would only be at their
best in the evening, of course.
Both are fast-growing annual vines with potential to grow ten feet (at
least) up to maybe 20 feet under good conditions. Both are twiners, so
they'd need some strings or other support to grow on.

Old 27-02-2003, 04:03 PM
Rebeccah Neff

Cosmos! This annual beauty is at its peak in the fall. There are
several varieties shades of pink to magenta as well as yellow to
orangey red--and even a Chocolate-colored variety. The "Bright Lights"
variety is a vigorous self-seeder. Nice leafy foliage, too. Park Seed
has a large selection of seeds in both color families.

Another vine you might consider is Autumn Clematis, "Virgin's Bower,"
a perennial vigorous grower that will spread. Although its sweetly
fragrant blooms are most prominent in August and September, some might
linger into October and the seed pods are very attractive whorls.

Good luck,
Rebeccah

Old 28-02-2003, 10:37 PM
J. Fleming

Hannah Barnum wrote:

I am planning to be married in my garden this fall, likely october 11. I'd
love suggestions for plants that will have something to show at that time
(fruits, flowers, foliage?) -

The wildflower mix from the NC Dept of Transportation is a nice mix.

especially fast-growing vines to
cover/decorate the falling-down barns . . . any wildflowers? Most of the
space is full sun.

Gourds! Then you have something interesting to look and practical when the
wedding is over and need something to do on the long winter nights. ;-)

Judi

Old 28-02-2003, 11:26 PM
Anne Lurie

Hannah,

I suggest that you contact the nearest botanical garden (Raulston Arboretum,
Duke Gardens, etc.) and ask them what might be blooming that time of year.

Please note that I am *not* suggesting that you have your wedding there or
that you mislead any personnel that you might be planning a wedding there
(......I don't believe it.....I just put a *disclaimer* on a newsgroup post,
for Pete's sake!) -- however, I expect that these places may have had some
experience in dealing with brides who want to know what the setting would be
at certain times of the year.

J. C. Raulston Arboretum (Raleigh):
http://www.ncsu.edu/jcraulstonarboretum/

Duke Gardens (Durham):
http://www.hr.duke.edu/dukegardens/dukegardens.html

North Carolina Botanical Garden (Chapel Hill):
http://www.ncbg.unc.edu/

BTW, when I googled for October + flowers, I turned up the following website
that indicates the pictures are in Charlotte, NC in October 2001 -- might
be worth a visit to the website for a few ideas:
http://www.jungiananalyticpraxis.com...owers_2001.htm

Good luck!

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

"Hannah Barnum" wrote in message
I am planning to be married in my garden this fall, likely october 11.

I'd
love suggestions for plants that will have something to show at that time
(fruits, flowers, foliage?) - especially fast-growing vines to
cover/decorate the falling-down barns . . . any wildflowers? Most of the
space is full sun.
Thanks,
Hannah

Bradford pears. Planted last fall. Brown leaves. Any suggestions? Gourd Texas 7 08-08-2003 03:34 PM
Water fall & filter design, please comment. John Ponds 3 19-06-2003 04:08 PM
fall suggestions Hannah Barnum North Carolina 4 01-05-2003 06:46 PM
Fall tree-collecting ss Bonsai 0 19-03-2003 10:20 PM
seed in fall before spring crabgrass preventer? E Gardener Gardening 5 28-01-2003 01:14 AM