Old 30-06-2003, 04:45 PM
laurie \(Mother Mastiff\)

Default SNAKE!!!

I keep rare chickens in the back yard (this year the chicken house has
gotten a lot of plantings of flowering shrubs, a shade tree, and flower
beds, as well as planter boxes of hyacinth beans to shade the chicken yard
in the hottest part of the summer, so this is SORT of on-topic, I need to be
down there a lot more than in past years, to take care of all the new
plants, as well as the birds).

I have had fewer eggs in the past week or so than expected. Last year I had
some black king snakes residing in the shed adjoining the chicken house,
apparently enjoying the mice that eat the grain left by the chickens, and a
striped nonpoisonous snake that had gotten so obese eating eggs that its
body was huge and its head looked like it belonged to a snake a fourth of
its size.

So when I saw a long black snake, about 2-1/2 ft long, IN a chicken pen, its
head inside the building but the rest of him in the chicken pen, I assumed
it was a king snake. I intended to grab it by the tail and crack it like a
whip to break its back, but am not sure enough of acting boldly, and those
king snakes in my yard have been large, and very aggressive towards my dogs
(and, I would assume, would be so towards me as well).

The snake had a fresh gleaming skin, with very faint cream colored,
diamond-shaped markings on its sides (actually only the lower half of each
diamond was visible). I nudged it with my shoe, and when its head came out,
it was a distinctly TRIANGULAR head, not the lozenge shape of the king
snake! Scared me thoroughly!

There is a pond very near my property, so it could have been a water
moccasin. It had no bumps in it, so had not eaten any eggs or chicks that
day (though one biggish very rare breed chick is missing), but it seemed
sluggish or at least not aggressive.

There are a LOT of snake-sized holes in the ground around the chicken yard.
I had not noticed them till I saw the snake. Are they snake holes, or made
by some other creature?

I am terrified of poisonous snakes, and don't have a cell phone to take with
me to the chicken yard in case one went after me, and also don't want snakes
eating the eggs I need to incubate, or possibly attacking my birds. My
birds had seen snakes enough that they didn't seem too bothered, which
worries me even more.

HELP! What can I do to make like St Patrick and drive the snakes out?

Moth balls bother MY breathing and I'd hate to put them down the snake holes
only to find they bothered my (pretty much organic) birds, when they were
under the ground and would be impossible to find to remove. I would be
afraid the chemicals in the moth balls might affect the eggs, which I eat
and sell to friends, and which I also hatch to sell the chicks of the rare
breeds (this helps finance chicken feed).

Obviously, I will put out those maze-type mouse traps to reduce the mouse
population (when I find a nest of mice, I let the chickens eat the babies,
chickens are omnivores, and LOVE a little protein as a treat, and that
reduces the future mouse population).

But are there folks in Wake County who will trap and remove snakes from your
property? Who? How do I find them?

With eggs, chicks, and mice to eat, these snakes (I doubt there's just one)
won't leave on their own.

HELP, PLEASE!

laurie (Mother Mastiff)

Old 30-06-2003, 05:20 PM
C.L. Lassiter

"laurie \(Mother Mastiff\)" wrote:

The snake had a fresh gleaming skin, with very faint cream colored,
diamond-shaped markings on its sides (actually only the lower half of each
diamond was visible). I nudged it with my shoe, and when its head came out,
it was a distinctly TRIANGULAR head, not the lozenge shape of the king
snake! Scared me thoroughly!

Could it have been--don't freak--a rattler which had recently shed
its skin (thus the lighter color)?

cl
Old 30-06-2003, 06:44 PM
laurie \(Mother Mastiff\)

The snake had a fresh gleaming skin, with very faint cream colored,
diamond-shaped markings on its sides (actually only the lower half of

each
diamond was visible). I nudged it with my shoe, and when its head came

out,
it was a distinctly TRIANGULAR head, not the lozenge shape of the king
snake! Scared me thoroughly!

Could it have been--don't freak--a rattler which had recently shed
its skin (thus the lighter color)?

CL,

The intruder was mostly black, with the faint markings low on its sides near
the belly (as if partly painted over by a brushful of black paint), and a
slim pointy tail, no rattle.

Are young water moccasins marked lightly and then get darker as they mature?

And HOW do I make them GO AWAY??!!

laurie

Old 30-06-2003, 07:08 PM
Susan Hogarth

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 12:35:56 -0400, in article
, Mother Mastiff\ wrote:

The snake had a fresh gleaming skin, with very faint cream colored,
diamond-shaped markings on its sides (actually only the lower half of

each
diamond was visible). I nudged it with my shoe, and when its head came

out,
it was a distinctly TRIANGULAR head, not the lozenge shape of the king
snake! Scared me thoroughly!

Could it have been--don't freak--a rattler which had recently shed
its skin (thus the lighter color)?

CL,

The intruder was mostly black, with the faint markings low on its sides near
the belly (as if partly painted over by a brushful of black paint), and a
slim pointy tail, no rattle.

Are young water moccasins marked lightly and then get darker as they mature?

And HOW do I make them GO AWAY??!!

It is almost certainly *not* a water moccasin, as they are not at all common in
this area.

My husband is a big herp-lover, and he's always so funny when I ask him to ID a
snake I saw - he'll say "Did it have keeled scales?" as if (1) I understood what
he was talking about and (2) I got close enough to look, and (3) I could
actually have noticed with the blood rushing to my head ;-) I'll try to remember
to ask him about your sighting and see what suggestions he has.

To make poisonous snakes go away, I would advocate learning to tolerate the
kingsnakes, as they prey on other snakes quite a bit from what I understand
(plus they're beautiful).

--
Susan
"If we cannot adjust our differences peacefully we are less than human."
Old 30-06-2003, 07:08 PM
Linda Simerson

this website might be of help.
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/nreos/wild/wildlife/

ls

Old 30-06-2003, 07:32 PM
Susan Hogarth

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 10:34:18 -0400, in article
, Mother Mastiff\ wrote:

[snip]

Obviously, I will put out those maze-type mouse traps to reduce the mouse
population (when I find a nest of mice, I let the chickens eat the babies,
chickens are omnivores, and LOVE a little protein as a treat, and that
reduces the future mouse population).

I had some hens back in Kansas, and once one of my cats came to the porch
proudly bearing his latest catch - a field mouse (sans head, of course, the cats
liked me enough to share but always took the best parts for themselves The cat
had just gotten to the walkway when he was rushed by a hen who grabbed his
mouse, whereupon about a half-dozen hens starting fighting over the carcass -
the cat wisely retreated.

The hens also enjoyed eating raw bird guts when I dressed several pheasants I'd
raised for Thanksgiving one year.

But are there folks in Wake County who will trap and remove snakes from your
property? Who? How do I find them?

It's possible that I could interest my husband in such a venture, because he
would enjoy finding a bunch of different snakes and would be horrified at the
prospect of some other 'elimination' method being used. As a side bonus, maybe
you and I could get him interested in rare-breed chickens (I've been wanting to
start raising them

Old 30-06-2003, 11:20 PM
Anne Lurie

I don't know much about snakes, but as for getting rid of them, Laurie, you
might call Critter Control at 919-382-0651. (We only used them for
squirrel problems, but the man who was here seemed knowledgable about any
number of pests.)

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

"laurie (Mother Mastiff)" wrote in
message ...

Old 01-07-2003, 12:34 PM
MT Byers

, Mother Mastiff\ wrote:

The snake had a fresh gleaming skin, with very faint cream colored,
diamond-shaped markings on its sides

To make poisonous snakes go away, I would advocate learning to tolerate the
kingsnakes, as they prey on other snakes quite a bit from what I understand
(plus they're beautiful).

See
http://www.bio.davidson.edu/Biology/...s/Lam_get.html

It was a king snake, most likely, since the markings can be very faint,
especially on larger specimens.
Please don't snap him like a whip. This is probably the single most
beneficial snake you can have around. He might eat an egg now and then,
but he'll eat all sorts of other things that you'll be glad to be rid of.

MT

Old 01-07-2003, 05:32 PM
Susan H. Simko

You might want to check out pics of the Northern Water Snake:

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/gaston/Pests...ges/nwater.htm

This is a snake that is commonly mistaken as a water mocassin and
killed. They can be aggressive if cornered or threatened. However, I
would strongly advocate trapping and relocating if at all possible. Can
you tell we're snake lovers?

My s.o. just brought home a 40 gallon aquarium last night to house the
painted box turtle I rescued from Club Blvd. He ate very readily so we
highly suspect he was a released pet. *sigh* Hence why we haven't
released him yet without further investigation. Anyway, the 40 gallon
aquarium is targeted as a future herpetarium. *grin*

Susan
shsimko at duke dot edu

Old 02-07-2003, 07:44 AM
laurie \(Mother Mastiff\)

It was a king snake, most likely, since the markings can be very faint,
especially on larger specimens.
Please don't snap him like a whip. This is probably the single most
beneficial snake you can have around. He might eat an egg now and then,
but he'll eat all sorts of other things that you'll be glad to be rid of.

A herpetologist at the Museum of Nat Sci send me this EXCELLENT url to help
anyone identify any of the 35 species of snakes found in NC.
http://www.bio.davidson.edu/Biology/...rps_of_NC.html

I determined from the pictures and descriptions that it was a late
adolescent black Rat Snake (the behavior was even perfectly described, the
markings matched, and so did the head shape).

Usually I would welcome the OCCASIONAL non-poisonous snake, but I raise rare
poultry and have to sell chicks in spring and summer to cover the costs of
feeding the birds year around. I usually get about 2 or 3 dozen eggs a day
this time of year from the Marans, the Welsummers, the Leghorns, and even
the Rapa Nuis (the egg basket is HEAVY every day this time of year), but
there was not even ONE egg today (except in the Welsummer pen, up the hill
from the others), just part of ONE shell. Yesterday I got two eggs from the
main pen. Out of over 65 hens I am feeding and 20 roosters. That's a LOT
of chicken feed!

I think I have a LOT of big snakes here, more than even before. Is this
revenge by the snakes for letting the chickens eat the baby mice?

I am also missing one of my four baby Rapa Nui bantams, about 8 weeks old.
That REALLY upset me, their daddy is getting old and I wanted all of
Mahogany's babies I could get this year. It was their pen I saw the snake
in, so I believe the snakes have been getting all their eggs, preventing me
from getting any other Mahogany babies, and no telling when the snakes will
eat the other babies. To me, knowing the rarity of this particular type of
bird, the loss is devastating. Most poultry fanciers, if they could have
this kind of bird at all, would kill ANY kind of predator to protect them!

Egg theft and chick eating by huge snakes is not fair to the chickens, and I
still have people on my waiting list for chicks from eggs I haven't gotten
because the snakes got there first. The snakes are going in and eating the
eggs before I get home and can go down to collect them. These people
deserve live babies a LOT more than uninvited giant snakes deserve a free
meal.

This isn't just one snake, and I literally cannot afford the losses I am now
incurring (don't want to return a lot of deposits or disappoint return
customers). The birds are healthy and recently wormed, they ARE laying, but
I am not getting the eggs, the snakes are, they must patrol the nests
several times a day. I can't meet my chick orders with eggs from just the
two days a week when I can go out and collect eggs once an hour!

While I generally believe in "live and let live", when the actions of
intruders threaten my ability to keep and feed my beloved birds, can you
blame me for wanting the snakes gone? When they eat my long-awaited babies
and make me unable to hatch any more, it upsets me very badly.

If I can get someone who knows how to trap snakes to REMOVE them (preferably
relocating them to unoccupied country), then I can use traps and/or bait for
the mice, and get things back to normal.

DESPERATELY, laurie

Old 02-07-2003, 05:08 PM
C.L. Lassiter

"laurie \(Mother Mastiff\)" wrote:

Usually I would welcome the OCCASIONAL non-poisonous snake, but I raise rare
poultry and have to sell chicks in spring and summer to cover the costs of

Just a personal note, Laurie, to say that I appreciate your
anxiety. Even "natural" behavior is disturbing when it harms something
else. I don't believe in killing snakes, but I certainly understand your
desire to protect your birds. (I've always wanted to raise some fowl, but
having just moved into a condo, I guess that's no longer possible. I'll
have to be content with my parrots!) I applaud your requests for
information on capture and release, and I wish you good luck!

cl

white snake - white snake.jpg Persephone Garden Photos 1 26-04-2007 11:54 PM
Water Snake = Grass Snake? Terry Pinnell United Kingdom 1 15-06-2005 10:11 AM
Snake--- cool snake story... Gareee© Ponds 0 04-05-2004 03:02 PM
Snake repellent PacKat Gardening 8 03-06-2003 01:44 AM
Snake Traps [safe for you & wont harm the snake] james North Carolina 0 26-04-2003 03:56 AM