Old 30-06-2003, 07:32 PM
laurie \(Mother Mastiff\)

Default Millipede treatment

I was online looking for bird netting to cover my huge blueberry bushes
(category: fat chance), and came across this millipede dust.

http://www.betterpestcontrol.com/products3.html

It's item # 29135 (next to last on a looong page) and is on sale. It is
supposed to be a waterproof powder that keeps millipedes out. Probably
fairly toxic, but man, I hated that crunch, especially in bare feet in my
bathroom at night! EeeEeewwww!

HTH, laurie (Mother Mastiff)

Old 30-06-2003, 11:32 PM
Anne Lurie

Laurie,

I thought my millipede problem was receding when it dried out a little, but
I think it's time to dust perimeter (outside, obviously) again with Sevin
dust. (I now know how to make rain appear, just put down something that
shouldn't get wet for a few days...... and, voila!)

BTW, Gardener's Supply offers 14' x 14' bird netting for $12.95 at
http://www.gardeners.com/sell.asp?Pr...319&CMP=IL8894 but I'm not
sure the netting is fine enough to protect blueberries. Have you tried
froogling (Google's buy-stuff search engine) for "bird netting"?

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

"laurie (Mother Mastiff)" wrote in
message ...

Old 01-07-2003, 04:08 AM
laurie \(Mother Mastiff\)

I thought my millipede problem was receding when it dried out a little,
but
I think it's time to dust perimeter (outside, obviously) again with Sevin
dust. (I now know how to make rain appear, just put down something that
shouldn't get wet for a few days...... and, voila!)

Yep. This stuff is supposed to be a waterproof powder, (sure it is) but it
might be at least water resistant. Is the Sevin working? I may need to try
it.

Wonder what repels snakes?

BTW, Gardener's Supply offers 14' x 14' bird netting for $12.95 at
http://www.gardeners.com/sell.asp?Pr...319&CMP=IL8894

Thanks, Anne! They also have 28X28 pieces, and I think two of those will do
better. Even though I trimmed the tops, those "bushes" are HUGE, both tall
and wide. (I'd better get busy ordering! I got an early blueberry this
morning for breakfast. :-) Though most of the rest of them are still pale
green and teensy.

Good luck with the millipedes. I rented a house with poor drainage over by
Jordan Lake a few years ago and was overrun with the d@#^ things, I STILL
find dead ones in the oddest places (even my sacred boxes of personal
papers!)

laurie (Mother Mastiff)

Old 01-07-2003, 11:24 PM
Anne Lurie

Well, the Sevin dust is definitely killing millipedes that come in contact
with it, but too many seem to be escaping its effect -- I confess that I
did not crawl under my deck or either porch, so there are lots of perimeter
areas that are unprotected, as it were.

I wish I could determine *where* the things are coming in!!! That might
help a lot. The stuff I sprayed on the baseboards inside seems to work, but
it left an objectionable odor for a day or two, so next time I'll pick a day
when I can open some windows. (The stuff is supposed to have a residual
effect, but the act of spraying it on baseboards served to point out to
*clean* the baseboards & re-apply the stuff. Honestly, sometimes it's hard
for me to believe that I have only 2 dogs & 1 cat -- who must be hosting
parties in the middle of the night, based on the amount of dog hair in my
house!)