Old 01-07-2003, 08:44 PM
Steven Worth

Default Plant Identification

When I was growing up my neighbor (Haw River, NC) had a flowering
plant with leaves that resembled marijuana leaves, no it was not
marijuana. The leaves were light green in color, that same as the
stalk. Other plant characteristics were pink flowers and seedpods
that had several seeds inside each pod. The pod started out green and
turned dark brown before falling to the ground and reseeding. The
pods had fuzz on them and the seeds inside were round, little, hard
and dark brown in color. The plant stalks were not woody and if you
broke one in half you could get a lot of water out of it. These plant
were almost on the verge of being invasive. We use to mow them with
the lawn mower to control their expanding borders.

Anyone have any idea what this could have been.
Old 02-07-2003, 01:22 PM
David

Anyone have any idea what this could have been.

Cleome?
http://msucares.com/news/print/sgnew.../sg010625.html
Old 02-07-2003, 04:08 PM
C.L. Lassiter

David wrote:
Anyone have any idea what this could have been.

Cleome?
http://msucares.com/news/print/sgnew.../sg010625.html

If it is cleome, Steven, save the seeds for me. :-)

cl
Old 02-07-2003, 06:08 PM
Raleighgirl

"C.L. Lassiter" wrote in message
| David wrote:
| Anyone have any idea what this could have been.
|
| Cleome?
| http://msucares.com/news/print/sgnew.../sg010625.html
|
| If it is cleome, Steven, save the seeds for me. :-)
|
| cl
CL,
One of my gardening gurus shared seeds with me; I'll be glad to
pass some on to you, however, you can also buy cleome seeds. It
may be easier for you in the long run.
Jeny

Old 02-07-2003, 06:09 PM
Raleighgirl

Old 02-07-2003, 07:56 PM
C.L. Lassiter

Raleighgirl wrote:

"C.L. Lassiter" wrote in message
| David wrote:
| Anyone have any idea what this could have been.
|
| Cleome?
| http://msucares.com/news/print/sgnew.../sg010625.html
|
| If it is cleome, Steven, save the seeds for me. :-)
|
| cl
CL,
One of my gardening gurus shared seeds with me; I'll be glad to
pass some on to you, however, you can also buy cleome seeds. It
may be easier for you in the long run.
Jeny

Oh thanks, Jeny. Yes, I know cleome seeds are available.
Now if only I could remember to buy some whenever I'm out! I've been to
Dickenson's a lot recently, and I can *never* remember them.

BTW, I have never noticed Mexican evening primrose before this
year. I bought one last weekend, and really love it.

cl
Old 10-07-2003, 03:15 AM
mgeost

(Steven Worth) wrote in message . com...
(Steven Worth) wrote in message . com...
When I was growing up my neighbor (Haw River, NC) had a flowering
plant with leaves that resembled marijuana leaves, no it was not
marijuana. The leaves were light green in color, that same as the
stalk. Other plant characteristics were pink flowers and seedpods
that had several seeds inside each pod. The pod started out green and
turned dark brown before falling to the ground and reseeding. The
pods had fuzz on them and the seeds inside were round, little, hard
and dark brown in color. The plant stalks were not woody and if you
broke one in half you could get a lot of water out of it. These plant
were almost on the verge of being invasive. We use to mow them with
the lawn mower to control their expanding borders.

Anyone have any idea what this could have been.

It is not cleome, I have cleome, common name spider plant. Anyone is
welcome to seeds, just know that this plant spreads like crazy. But
it is very beautiful.

To say cleome "spread like crazy" is like saying a sackful of kittens
are playful. I planted one little puny seedling along the sunny side
of my house one spring. The next summer, I had a raucous border 8'X
50' full of cleome some towering to 7' high. A spectacular site
indeed. Absolutely no special care needed except for poor sandy soil
and a reasonable amount of water. Thin to your hearts content and the
flowers do make interesting arrangements inside the house.

I would mow or "lively lad" down the canes in the fall after first
frost. The cast off seeds do seem to benefit from a coolish dormant
period. The volunteer adolescent plants are a bit fussy about being
moved once established, but very young plants transplant without too
much fuss.