Old 04-07-2003, 06:20 PM
laurie \(Mother Mastiff\)

Default First blueberries!

Looks like a few blueberry blooms were way ahead of the rest, I have small
numbers of fully ripe berries, yet the large majority of berries are still
tiny and green!

Think I'll pick all I can and mail them by overnight mail (with chill packs)
to my mom, who has Macular Degeneration.

Anyone else have berries ripe? (Mine get early morning and late afternoon
shade, which seems to extend their fruiting season....)

laurie (Mother Mastiff)

Old 04-07-2003, 06:46 PM
mt2

I am in NYS and have some blueberries that are almost fully ripened.=20

"laurie (Mother Mastiff)" wrote in =
message ...
Looks like a few blueberry blooms were way ahead of the rest, I have =

small
numbers of fully ripe berries, yet the large majority of berries are =

still
tiny and green!
=20

Old 04-07-2003, 08:56 PM
Raleighgirl

Yep, we've got lots of big ripe juicy berries here! But realize
that "lots" for me is enough for 1 or 2 breakfasts.
Jeny

Old 06-07-2003, 06:44 PM
Kira Dirlik

Well, my 3 (yes, three) blueberries got ripe a few weeks ago, one at a
time. I ate each one as it ripened. All off the same bush, an
O'Neal.
I have 3 blueberry bushes and they just will not thrive. I've tried
everything, and if I let the weeds go around them, they all become
huge compared with those elsewhere in the yard, so it is not a
nutrient problem. I raised them up in a raised bed to improve
drainage. No difference. No new growth seems to come on them. They
get sun from about 10:00 am to 3:00 p.m. They don't get any flowers,
except the few on the O'Neal.
Any suggestions?
Kira
Old 07-07-2003, 03:08 PM
Thomas Goodwin

Kira Dirlik !! wrote:
Well, my 3 (yes, three) blueberries got ripe a few weeks ago, one at a
time. I ate each one as it ripened. All off the same bush, an
O'Neal.
I have 3 blueberry bushes and they just will not thrive. I've tried
everything, and if I let the weeds go around them, they all become
huge compared with those elsewhere in the yard, so it is not a
nutrient problem. I raised them up in a raised bed to improve
drainage. No difference. No new growth seems to come on them. They
get sun from about 10:00 am to 3:00 p.m. They don't get any flowers,
except the few on the O'Neal.
Any suggestions?
Kira

I have some in partial sun that produce almost nothing, while those in
Full sun have given me a bumper crop.

Old 07-07-2003, 08:42 PM
laurie \(Mother Mastiff\)

I have 3 blueberry bushes and they just will not thrive. I've tried
everything, and if I let the weeds go around them, they all become
huge compared with those elsewhere in the yard, so it is not a
nutrient problem. I raised them up in a raised bed to improve
drainage. No difference. No new growth seems to come on them. They
get sun from about 10:00 am to 3:00 p.m. They don't get any flowers,
except the few on the O'Neal.
Any suggestions?
Kira

I have some in partial sun that produce almost nothing, while those in
Full sun have given me a bumper crop.

Hmm. It's odd that the weeds grow better there than elsewhere, wonder if
the pH is different there than the rest of the yard, and if it is too sweet.
Have you tested the yard and blueberry bed soils?

I only use azalea/rhododendron fertilizer for my blueberries, because they
want acid. I mulch generously with pine straw or oak leaves.

Mine are on a square lot that is exactly 2 acres, and with TALL pine trees
(loblolly) on every side of the lot but the south. So, they get shade till
about 10 AM and shade again after 2:00. My "bushes" are about 30 years old,
though! And some old variety, because the original rooted shoots they were
started with came from the original owner's grandmother's birthplace in
Lumberton.

You made me hungry. Off to pick blueberries!!!

laurie (Mother Mastiff)

Old 08-07-2003, 12:20 PM
Pat Brothers

[...]

Blueberries like the soil very acid- a ph of 4.8 is ideal. They will
stop producing if the ph is above 5.5 or so. You may want to get a soil
testing kit. They only cost a few bucks. Blueberries also loathe
nitrogen rich soil that has been enriched with compost. The roots are
shallow and need even moisture. A heavy mulch of pine straw is a good idea.

Mine are on a square lot that is exactly 2 acres, and with TALL pine trees
(loblolly) on every side of the lot but the south. So, they get shade till
about 10 AM and shade again after 2:00. My "bushes" are about 30 years old,
though! And some old variety, because the original rooted shoots they were
started with came from the original owner's grandmother's birthplace in
Lumberton.

You made me hungry. Off to pick blueberries!!!

laurie (Mother Mastiff)

Pat Brothers

The Powell House
Wake Forest
and the Perennials Lady at AAO&GC

Old 09-07-2003, 12:58 AM
Kira Dirlik

I have acid soil. I mixed in a lot of pine and oak rotted stuff from
the woods floor. The weeds are growing better than surrounding area
because the soil is richer, with all the goodies I have given it.
It is a combination of the original clay, some topsoil I ordered by
the truckful (that seems like very finely ground leaves), rotted pine
needles, some Miracle Grow planting mix, and shovels of veggie garden
soil that has been composted over the years. I haven't specifically
tested that bed, but it seems it must be acid like every other patch
of soil around, especially with all the pine needles. It probably is
due for another dose of the stuff that is especially for blueberries
(aluminum sulfate). They are in the sunniest area I have, about the
same as Laurie's, and SHE gets blueberries. (Grrrrrrr.... envy
envy... berry envy!)
Kira