Old 08-07-2003, 05:46 PM
Kelly Garner

Default Identify this vine!

Got a vine in my backyard that's all over the place. Kudzu? Not sure. Can anyone tell from
this pictu
http://www.ibiblio.org/kelly/gallery/plants/IM000096

Heart-shaped leaf with ragged edges.

Thanks
Cheers
KJ
--
---
Always proofread to make sure you didn't any words out.
Old 08-07-2003, 09:29 PM
Emily G.

Kelly Garner wrote:
Got a vine in my backyard that's all over the place. Kudzu? Not sure. Can anyone tell from
this pictu
http://www.ibiblio.org/kelly/gallery/plants/IM000096

Heart-shaped leaf with ragged edges.

Thanks
Cheers
KJ

It looks like Wild Grape Vine to me. Check out
http://www.ppws.vt.edu/scott/weed_id/vitsp.htm

The University of Illinois has a cool weed identifier at
http://web.aces.uiuc.edu/weedid/

You select all the characteristics of the weed and it gives you the most
likely weed.

Old 08-07-2003, 09:53 PM
Kelly Garner

In article ,
Emily G. wrote:
It looks like Wild Grape Vine to me. Check out
http://www.ppws.vt.edu/scott/weed_id/vitsp.htm

The University of Illinois has a cool weed identifier at
http://web.aces.uiuc.edu/weedid/

You select all the characteristics of the weed and it gives you the most
likely weed.

Awesome! thanks for pointing me to this resource.

Cheers
KJ

--
---
Old 12-07-2003, 02:09 AM
Raleighgirl

"mgeost" wrote in message
om...
| (Kelly Garner) wrote in message
| Got a vine in my backyard that's all over the place. Kudzu?
Not sure. Can anyone tell from
| this pictu

http://www.ibiblio.org/kelly/gallery/plants/IM000096

| Heart-shaped leaf with ragged edges.
|
| Thanks
| Cheers
| KJ

I think someone already answered... if not, I believe they are
scuppernong vines. Produces non-clustering grapes in the fall.

| If I may offer a trick I successfully used to rid a hedge of
wild
| wisteria.
|
| Take a small container with a narrow top; fill it with Round Up
(or
| other weed killer). Cut the vine fairly close to the the
ground and
| immerse the root end into the Round Up. Secure the vine root
end in
| the weed killer with plastic wrap and set the jar upright and
out of
| the rain.

We had (have) so much wisteria, we found an even easier version.
We took paper towels, soaked them with Round Up, wrapped them
around the stump, wrapped the stump in saran wrap. The whole
stump broke up in 6 months.
Jeny

Old 12-07-2003, 03:20 AM
mgeost

(Kelly Garner) wrote in message ...
Got a vine in my backyard that's all over the place. Kudzu? Not sure. Can anyone tell from
this pictu
http://www.ibiblio.org/kelly/gallery/plants/IM000096

Heart-shaped leaf with ragged edges.

Thanks
Cheers
KJ

Such a vine by any name would still appear to be a mess.

If I may offer a trick I successfully used to rid a hedge of wild
wisteria.

Take a small container with a narrow top; fill it with Round Up (or
other weed killer). Cut the vine fairly close to the the ground and
immerse the root end into the Round Up. Secure the vine root end in
the weed killer with plastic wrap and set the jar upright and out of
the rain.

The root end will suck up the weed killer and be off to the big
"Alabama road side in the sky" in a few days.

The business end of the vine will die shortly thereafter and can be
pulled down. Don't dispair if the desired shrubbery remaining look a
little startled. They'll fill right back in.

Old 28-07-2003, 05:04 AM
mgeost

"Raleighgirl" wrote in message .com...
"mgeost" wrote in message
om...
| (Kelly Garner) wrote in message
| Got a vine in my backyard that's all over the place. Kudzu?
Not sure. Can anyone tell from
| this pictu

http://www.ibiblio.org/kelly/gallery/plants/IM000096

| Heart-shaped leaf with ragged edges.
|
| Thanks
| Cheers
| KJ

I think someone already answered... if not, I believe they are
scuppernong vines. Produces non-clustering grapes in the fall.

| If I may offer a trick I successfully used to rid a hedge of
wild
| wisteria.
|
| Take a small container with a narrow top; fill it with Round Up
(or
| other weed killer). Cut the vine fairly close to the the
ground and
| immerse the root end into the Round Up. Secure the vine root
end in
| the weed killer with plastic wrap and set the jar upright and
out of
| the rain.

We had (have) so much wisteria, we found an even easier version.
We took paper towels, soaked them with Round Up, wrapped them
around the stump, wrapped the stump in saran wrap. The whole
stump broke up in 6 months.
Jeny

It's a shame, imho, that we need to use these "weapons of vine
destruction" on wisteria. I can think of nothing more beautiful or
spring-y than the purple pangdangles of wisteria flowers.

Sorta' tugs at your heart when you see newly transplanted northerners
at the garden center with a big pot of wisteria in their cart. I've
always thought some plants should come with warning labels.