Old 10-07-2003, 03:20 PM
BB

Default Squash Vine Borer

Two of my vines(one a squash, and one pumpkin) have been sacrificed to
these borers

I had no idea about these creatures until yesterday when I saw my two
vines dead.

I looked it up on the web and got some information about them.
http://ipcm.wisc.edu/news/update/inc...c_sqvinebr.htm

Has anyone had this problem? And how do you prevent it? The wesbites say
to spray insecticides like Sevin etc, does that work?

With the loss of two vines, the death toll in my garden has gone up to
9plants(2 vines, 2tomoates, 2eggplants, 3 pepper). I am still not giving
up ;-)

Old 10-07-2003, 06:24 PM
Bill

BB wrote in message ...
Two of my vines(one a squash, and one pumpkin) have been sacrificed to
these borers

BB,

Don't give up on the pumpkins or squash. Now is a good time to sow
seeds for a fall harvest. Just remember that they need consistent
watering through the summer months.

Here's a link for squash vine borer control:

http://tomclothier.hort.net/page30.html

Hope this helps,

Bill

Old 10-07-2003, 09:47 PM
Dexter Road

BB wrote in message ...
Two of my vines(one a squash, and one pumpkin) have been sacrificed to
these borers

Has anyone had this problem?

YES!

And how do you prevent it? The wesbites say
to spray insecticides like Sevin etc, does that work?

It does, but BT is the organic control that I prefer. It's a bacteria
that kills some caterpillars. Works on cabbage whites too.
I spray the base of the squash plants. If a bug actually makes it
inside the stem and the plant starts to wilt, I inject some BT into
the stems. Sometimes the plants recover - if I get to the bugs early
enough.

You can get it at many feed/garden stores. Got mine at Ace Hardware in
Oxford.

http://www.nysaes.cornell.edu/ent/bi.../bacteria.html
says that it's hard to control the borers with BT, but if you inject
it into the stem (assuming you can figure out where the borers are) it
seems to work.

http://www.biconet.com/solutionsqs.html#Squash vine borer
recommends nematodes. Never tried them.

Good luck!
Old 11-07-2003, 06:11 PM
Tomatolord

yes
basically a moth comes and lays its eggs at the base of the plant, the eggs
hatch and a little worm enters in and eats it way up the plant from the
inside. You can open the plant carefully and kill the worm.

the most effective is to have a row cover to keep the moths off

then you move to the various insecticides to kill the worm (sevin, bt etc)

NEXT year every foot or so of plant cover it with soil, not much just an
inch or so, the plant will send down new roots, then if the borer hits the
plant will have new roots to live off of, that is what the local farmers
here do.

tomatolord