Old 17-07-2003, 02:10 AM
Fred Holt

Default What's eating my trees?

I arived at several nersreys this evening with my damaged leaves, alas,
after each had closed so I turn here for advice....

I more or less suddenly have a couple of problems in the front yard of my
new (well new to me) home. The yard, and especially the "natural area" is
a bit overgrown, and has a few large trees, so quite a bit of shade, but it
features a mature dogwood (about 20ft) which has leaves which are
shriveling, and have quite a bit of brown spots on both top and bottom of
the leaves. I dosed it with Immunox (the only fungicide at Lowes?) a couple
of weeks ago, but no improvement yet (no worse though). Any
recommendations?

Worse, is the wholesale slaughter of my Japanese Maple trees. I have 2 hear
the front door, and they're being eaten to death by what my coworkers say is
Japanese Beetles. I noticed the beetles a couple of weeks ago in the
gladiolas - and so hung a bab-a-bug in the natural area, which is catching a
fair amount, but within the last couple of days, the maples are suddenly
taking it hard. So - what to do there? More traps, some sevin dust? liquid
pesticides? I don't mind using chemicals, but don't want to damage the
trees any further.

Thanks,
- F

Old 17-07-2003, 03:45 AM
Iron Man

"Fred Holt" wrote in message
. com...
I arived at several nersreys this evening with my damaged leaves, alas,
after each had closed so I turn here for advice....

I more or less suddenly have a couple of problems in the front yard of my
new (well new to me) home. The yard, and especially the "natural area"

is
a bit overgrown, and has a few large trees, so quite a bit of shade, but

it
features a mature dogwood (about 20ft) which has leaves which are
shriveling, and have quite a bit of brown spots on both top and bottom of
the leaves. I dosed it with Immunox (the only fungicide at Lowes?) a

couple
of weeks ago, but no improvement yet (no worse though). Any
recommendations?

gypsy moths?

Old 17-07-2003, 07:32 PM
MAC

Not a good idea to have Japanese Beetle traps anywhere on your property
- they'll just attract beetles from miles around. I use liquid Sevin to
kill beetles on my roses and other plants, then switch back to Orthene
after they've left for the year. I also use a jar full of mineral
spirits to catch 'em and dunk 'em before they can reproduce, and have
been for the past four years. I've noticed we've had far fewer bugs this
year than in the past.

MAC

Old 17-07-2003, 07:52 PM
Susan Hogarth

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 14:29:22 -0400, in article
, MAC wrote:

Not a good idea to have Japanese Beetle traps anywhere on your property
- they'll just attract beetles from miles around.

We tried traps our first spring at our house and were *swarmed*. The japanese
maple was ruined (for that year) - nearly every leaf was severly munched.

I use liquid Sevin to
kill beetles on my roses and other plants, then switch back to Orthene
after they've left for the year.

I'm not sure what we use, but it is some chemical thing. Bill gets after them
when he first sees them.

I also use a jar full of mineral
spirits to catch 'em and dunk 'em before they can reproduce, and have
been for the past four years.

I don't do this, but I did have one in my hair this morning (after retrieving my
fat old beagle from his apple-and-pear-fest this morning) and washed it down the
drain with soapy water. I felt briefly guilty but then remembered the battles of
previous years. Being a property owner makes you a bit less sympathetic to
wildlife, I think.

I've noticed we've had far fewer bugs this
year than in the past.

Same here. We also have lots of mole-tunnels which we do nothing to discourage
(although I suspect my cats catch a few, much to my husband's disgust). I hope
the moles don't starve this winter because of a shortage of JB grubs. It's hard
to believe they could EVER be in short supply, but since there are still leaves
on the maple, there must be a LOT fewer JBs.

--
Susan Hogarth *
Check out the new Beagle Rescue T-shirt:
Old 17-07-2003, 10:12 PM
MAC

Being a property owner makes you a bit less sympathetic to
wildlife, I think.

Especially wildlife that eat your plants ;-)

MAC

Old 17-07-2003, 10:32 PM
Anne Lurie

Fred,

There are differences of opinion about the merit of Japanese Beetle traps; I
did not put one up this year, and I've seen fewer JB than usual.

Sevin, either liquid or dust, is a common treatment for JB, but it can make
a mess (white dust or milky film on plants, but it beats having no leaves).
I noticed JB on a weeping Japanese cherry near my roses; the worst JB
problem was at the top of the tree, so my little hand-sprayer was clearly
not going to work.

I used a hose-end sprayer to spray the tree with Orthenex
(insecticide/fungicide combo already on hand for my roses), as I was not
sure that the thicker solution of liquid Sevin would work with the hose-end
sprayer.

My suggestion would be to take down the JB traps, as you may just be
attracting more beetles to your yard.

Get yourself a hose-end sprayer & Orthene or other systemic pesticide &
follow the directions on the bottle.

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

. com...

Old 18-07-2003, 11:29 PM
Edward M. Kennedy

, MAC wrote:

Not a good idea to have Japanese Beetle traps anywhere on your property
- they'll just attract beetles from miles around.

We tried traps our first spring at our house and were *swarmed*. The japanese
maple was ruined (for that year) - nearly every leaf was severly munched.

The beetle traps have their uses, but used by themselves
they don't attract a high enough percentage of beetles
away from ornamentals to offset the increased amount of
beetles now on your property. This is exacerbated if
you are on a small plot of land.

On the other hand, I have ten acres and want to minimize
the poison spraying (I gave up on the safer pyrethrins --
too labor intensive). I put traps on the corners of my
property to draw out any of the *******s hatching in my
soil, and then I use some 30 day spray on the plants the
beetles like to eat n' screw on. If my traps attrack
some beetles from my neighbors, there are still pretty
far my house and not like to wander away from the bait
for the distant smell of roses, etc.

The problem with roses is that I have to spray each new
bloom when it opens.

Finally, google on Milky Spore. It is a parasite that
kills the grubs in the ground and should last a long time.
If your neighbors have lots of beetle grubs, it won't
do much good for a while. But if everyone used it, you
could solve the problem over a wide areas. And the spores
should slowly spread with time, so you might eventually get
a wide area solution.

It's kinda expensive, but it will help your lawn.

--Ted