Old 17-07-2003, 11:31 PM
Todd Jones

Default Grass Recommrendation Needed

I need a recommendation for some sort of grass that will be planted in a
shaded area that occasionally floods. By occasionally, I mean it never
flooded last year, this year maybe 5 times. We're not talking a little
standing water, we're talking three feet of turgid storm water that can take
a couple days to drain, leaving a thick mud layer behind. I'd love some sort
of ground cover that could withstand that, plus some foot traffic, and help
keep the area from being a muddy mess.

Any thoughts?

Old 18-07-2003, 03:02 PM
Tomatolord

yes sue the people sending the mud/silt to you.

The stormwater laws in NC state that NO amount of silt is allowed to leave
your property, so if there is a slick left behind you need to go upstream to
the source and have those people correct the problem. Eventually this silt
finds it way into the neuse river system.....

As far as the plants go - most plants that are not true water plants NOT
going to survive being under water for 3-4 days at a time

Obligate, (i believe is the correct spelling) are water plants, however
grasses that you can walk on are not generally one of them.

I think a ground cover of plants that love shade and wet conditions such as

hostas, impatients, sweet woodruff (which is wonderfull to walk on and can
make spring wine from)

good luck

tomatolord

rthlink.net...