Old 18-07-2003, 06:02 PM
laurie \(Mother Mastiff\)

Default Blueberries ready to pick

The blueberry picking is a little behind this year, maybe I should have
posted earlier saying the berries are finally getting ripe!

Usually several longtime members of this list come over to pick berries from
my ancient (30+ years) blueberry bushes. My arthritis makes it painful to
pick, so instead of asking for money for the berries, I ask people to pick
carefully, and to pick twice as many berries as they want to take home (and
then I can enjoy or freeze what they picked for me). My hands don't hurt,
and that way more people get to enjoy the berries.

They are VERY tasty this year!

I do use fertilizer on the bushes, one organic and one conventional high
acid formula, but NO pesticides or weed killers are used anywhere near the
blueberries. (So, there ARE some insects on the bushes, the spiders are
tiny so only the webs are a nuisance, but I saw two wasps this morning. If
you are allergic to stings, please bring a sting kit because I don't have
one.)

I live off Ten Ten in SW Apex. It seems best to me to pick in the fairly
early AM or after 5:00 PM, since then the bushes are in shade (there are
tall trees on the east and west sides of the lot). I am not a morning
person, but if it's one of my regulars who wants to come early, that's fine
by me!

If you'd like to come over and pick tasty giant blueberries, call at 66 1 22
44. I am home during the day this week and next week, but am fairly busy on
the weekends.

laurie (Mother Mastiff)