Old 21-07-2003, 04:27 PM
j647

Default Termites?

Being a transplanted Northerner, I'm wondering about termites. Does anyone
have any experience/recommendations? I don't have a problem now. Is it worth
it to have terminix or some other company check? Are their guarantees any
good? I am on a slab (another thing new to me- no basements). Thanks for
your input.

john

---

Old 21-07-2003, 05:57 PM
Heidi

Hi John,

I don't have any experience w/ termites, however I have had an
exterminator come out. I would recommend having an exterminator come
out to your house, if only for peace of mind. I was surprised to learn
that all of the companies we called were willing to give us a free visit
to assess whether we had termites or not. We had a company send a rep
out, he inspected our yard, and told us the damage we had seen on our
wood fence was due to water not termites. The rep. also crawled under
our house, tested the moisture level, and walked around inside to look
at areas we were concerned about. No termites. He observed that one of
the vents in our crawl space was blocked, and suggested that we remove
the item blocking the vent to help w/ moisture. He was very honest w/
us and did not try to push us into spending any money. He mentioned a
monthly general bug spray service they offered, but we were not
interested. We were really appreciative of the free service, and came
out if it with a better understanding of termites, peace of mind, and
good tips for preventing termites and other bugs. We used Economy
Exterminators, working with a guy named Andy (467-2206). He was great.
If we ever need someone to come out, we will be contacting him.

Heidi

Old 22-07-2003, 09:43 PM
David

David: Hi, can I talk to Andy?
Economy Exterminators: Uh, nobody works here with that name.
David: Oh, sorry.
EE: We DID have a sales rep here last summer named Andy, but he no
longer works here.
David: Thanks.

I was so thrilled to hear of an honest man that I called to get an
estimate for treating some wood-borers. I was very disappointed to
find out that the cynics may be right: an honest man can't last in
business...

I unearthed some termites in the middle of a garen project... jameson Gardening 11 26-03-2004 05:34 AM
Should I treat for Termites on the outside of my house with the Canister baiting kits Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC Gardening 6 12-09-2003 10:36 PM
Termites? j647 North Carolina 0 21-07-2003 04:19 PM
mulch next to house....termites brianb Gardening 7 10-06-2003 01:32 AM
termites and moisture meters James Australia 2 10-04-2003 02:44 PM