Old 23-07-2003, 04:03 AM
laurie \(Mother Mastiff\)

Default Saving Daylily seeds?

I have one new daylily that I adore, and it has several big seed pods, still
green. Last year, I wanted to save seeds from another daylily, and missed
the time between green seed pods and open, empty ones.

Advice or recommendations, pleaase!

Bobby?

thanks in advance, laurie (Mother Mastiff)
(yes, I realize the seedlings will be hybrids, but I hope some will take
after their beautiful mother. g)

Old 24-07-2003, 02:23 AM
Bobby Baxter

Hey Laurie,

Wait until the seed pod begins to crack open and then pick it. Remove the
seeds from the pod. Place in envelope and then put in refrigerator for six
weeks. You can then plant them directly in the ground this fall. The
seedlings will be small, but the strong plants will survive the winter. Or
you leave the seeds in the frig over the winter and plant in spring. I
plant in the fall so that the weak seedlings die and the more hardy plants
survive. I expect to start harvesting daylily seed with in the next few
days. The pods are fat and almost ready.

Bobby

--
Bobby Baxter
TheGardenSite.com