Old 29-07-2003, 08:05 PM
Kira Dirlik

Default Nobody here grows potatos?

Hi Folks,
Nobody answered my potato question. Anyone out there grow them?
My plant is growing out like an octopus, with the ever-lenghthening
stems all in the center. They are getting flowers, which I
understand indicate there WILL be potatos. But, shouldn't the stems
be covered so that more potatos form along these stems? What should
they be covered with: soil, mulch, grass clippings, or what?
Thanks.
Kira
Old 29-07-2003, 08:47 PM
Marymind

Hi, Kira,
When I used to grow potatoes in NJ we would start them in the ground.
When the stalks were about 2' tall and beginning to bud, we'd place a
tire over the plant and add straw to protect the potatoes.

Here's a link to growing potatoes in NC.
http://www.growinglifestyle.com/h/ga...ato/index.html

Old 29-07-2003, 09:02 PM
Heidi

Hi Kira,

I don't grow potatoes, and can't answer your question. You might try
one of two options: calling the NC Agric. extension services and asking
them for advice, or posting your question on the general rec. gardens.

Best of luck.
Heidi

Old 29-07-2003, 10:22 PM
Tomatolord

yes i do - as they are really the opposite of a tomato!!

ok the trick to a potato is that the fruit grow ABOVE the seed potato not
below it.

you can either plant the seed deep into the ground - which can be a lot of
work
or
hill it up once it starts to grow and by hill that means NO SUNLIGHT at
all - if the potato gets sunlight it turns green and you have to toss that
one...some people put the tires around and fill with compost or straw -
makes it easy to pick - just push the tires off,

usually it is too late once it flowers

I was under the impression that once it flowers that means you can start to
"grabble" the potatoes

Grabbling is a southern term to reach in and pick the smaller tastier new
growth potatos...

Then as the plant dies back you pick the rest...

What you cover them with does not matter except to make it easy to pick
(soil would be the hardest to cover and then dig, grass would not last long
enough, straw can cause rot, so a good mulch is the best

good luck

tlord

Old 29-07-2003, 11:06 PM
Anne Lurie

Sorry, kiddo, I found some info on growing potatoes when I googled, but I
mistakenly assumed that lots of folks here must have had experience growing
them, so I failed to post.

Here's an interesting website I turned up with this minute's google (I
hesitate to call it "today's" google, because I'm always online, so I google
constantly):
Gardening as an Anarchist Plot (!)
ttp://www.rain.org/~philfear/garden.html -- I especially like the caption
"No gophers in my garden" on the photo of the "pet" Harris' Hawk (a western
hawk about the size of a Red-tailed Hawk).

My only personal experience with growing potatoes is limited to this: I
noticed potato plants sprouting in the compost piles; I made the mistake of
trying to transplant them; the plants immediately died.

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

Old 10-08-2003, 05:22 AM
Kira Dirlik

Thanks for the info. They just keep send out the ends of their stems,
continue to bloom, and the patch gets wider and wider. I don't see
any potatoes on the exposed stems.
I can see where the tires are a very good idea.... that would contain
the space they use, and keep those lengthening stems underground.
Well, I guess I will just wait til it all dies back and start digging.
They are still getting lots of new leaves and flowers.
Kira
Old 11-08-2003, 03:05 PM
Tomatolord

you wont see any potatoes on the end - they wont grow in the light -only in
the dirt in the dark, so you need to cover the plant in order to get
potatoes