Old 31-07-2003, 11:48 PM
Raleighgirl

Default Help with butterfly ID

Hiya.
The butterfly section in the Audubon's Insect Guide fails me
again and I don't know enough to Google... This is a black and
white butterfly with regular top wings and long lower wings. It
flits and moves much faster than swallowtails. Anyone know what
it is and what it eats? I want to see MORE!
Has anyone else noticed that the swallowtails are voracious this
year? They have wiped out almost all of my dill and parsley
already! I'm afraid they'll stop laying eggs if there's not
enough food!
Thanks all.,
Jeny

Old 01-08-2003, 12:03 AM
Anne Lurie

Jeny,

Try using the Advanced Search function at e-nature's Butterfly page:
http://www.enature.com/guides/select_Butterflies.asp

And don't forget to keep us posted!

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

.com...

Old 01-08-2003, 04:12 PM
Will Cook

Raleighgirl wrote:

The butterfly section in the Audubon's Insect Guide fails me
again and I don't know enough to Google... This is a black and
white butterfly with regular top wings and long lower wings. It
flits and moves much faster than swallowtails. Anyone know what
it is and what it eats? I want to see MORE!

Sounds like a Zebra Swallowtail -- is this it?
http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook/pix/zebraswt.html

Their host plant is Common Pawpaw
http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook/trees/astr.html
which occurs in wet forests, but you can find Zebra Swallowtails zipping
through areas far from the nearest Pawpaw patch. They may also
sometimes use Dwarf Pawpaw, which occurs in drier habitats.
http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook/trees/aspa.html

Will

Old 01-08-2003, 04:44 PM
Raleighgirl

"Anne Lurie" wrote in message
.com...
| Jeny,
|
| Try using the Advanced Search function at e-nature's Butterfly
page:
| http://www.enature.com/guides/select_Butterflies.asp
|
| And don't forget to keep us posted!
|
| Anne Lurie
| NE Raleigh

Yep, I'd looked at that site + Will Cook's + 2 sites from Will's
web links. It's difficult because I have no idea what type of
butterfly it is... o well, guess I'll have to wait until someone
else knows. Thanks y'all.
Jw