GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Tomatillos and other growing tomatoes... (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/north-carolina/39285-tomatillos-other-growing-tomatoes.html)

Cindy Huffman 04-08-2003 03:12 PM

Tomatillos and other growing tomatoes...

Hello,

I have my first tomatillo plant. It is FULL of blooms and has been for
several weeks, but no tomatillos. The bees buzz in the blooms and I don't
see anything that resembles the fruit. Are they coming, or is this just a
dud?

Also wanted to note that I have a ton of Romas growing from last year's
fallen tomatoes. Is this norm? Thought the seeds I planted were the kind
that grow for one year. I have big, nice looking Romas growing...

Thanks!
Cindy "gardening newbie" (my second year!)

delirium 08-08-2003 11:04 PM

Tomatillos and other growing tomatoes...

In article ,
says...
Hello,

I have my first tomatillo plant. It is FULL of blooms and has been for
several weeks, but no tomatillos. The bees buzz in the blooms and I don't
see anything that resembles the fruit. Are they coming, or is this just a
dud?

many tomatillos need a second plant in order to produce fruit, similar to
the way some apples cannot reproduce by themselves.

Also wanted to note that I have a ton of Romas growing from last year's
fallen tomatoes. Is this norm? Thought the seeds I planted were the kind
that grow for one year. I have big, nice looking Romas growing...

what you had were hybrid tomatoes. the seed is a custom blend which will
not breed true. so the plants you have now are not precisely the same
kind as the ones you had last year. they may be close enough that you
wouldn't notice or you may have a tomato that is just awful.

-jenn

Cindy Huffman 13-08-2003 02:12 PM

Tomatillos and other growing tomatoes...

delirium wrote in
:

In article ,
says...
Hello,

I have my first tomatillo plant. It is FULL of blooms and has been
for several weeks, but no tomatillos. The bees buzz in the blooms
and I don't see anything that resembles the fruit. Are they coming,
or is this just a dud?

many tomatillos need a second plant in order to produce fruit, similar
to the way some apples cannot reproduce by themselves.

Thanks for the information. This must be it, as I still see no
tomatillos growing. :-(

Also wanted to note that I have a ton of Romas growing from last
year's fallen tomatoes. Is this norm? Thought the seeds I planted
were the kind that grow for one year. I have big, nice looking Romas
growing...

what you had were hybrid tomatoes. the seed is a custom blend which
will not breed true. so the plants you have now are not precisely the
same kind as the ones you had last year. they may be close enough that
you wouldn't notice or you may have a tomato that is just awful.

-jenn

I did notice that the Romas are much bigger - thicker - than the ones I
had last year. I'm losing a few of the plants though...wilt.

My garden this year just isn't as flourishing as last years. :-(

Thanks again,
Cindy