Old 12-08-2003, 05:58 AM
Registered User

Location: Durham, NC
Default kills mosquitoes!

Just had this hint passed along to me from another gardeners' forum...kill those pesky and dangerous mosquitos: fill a white plate or bowl with water and add several drops of Lemon Fresh Joy dishwashing detergent, and set outside. Not sure why or how it works, but mosquitoes are attracted to the mixture, drink and fall dead, usually within a few feet of the bowl...especially good for those of us in the South who would like to spend a few minutes outdoors without spraying ourselves with chemicals. Set plates or bowls of mixture around patio, and watch the results!
__________________
Kat ~=^..^=~
Old 12-08-2003, 04:14 PM
NC_FUBAR

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 06:58:22 +0200, Kathie
wrote:

Just had this hint passed along to me from another gardeners'
forum...kill those pesky and dangerous mosquitos: fill a white plate
or bowl with water and add several drops of Lemon Fresh Joy dishwashing
detergent, and set outside. Not sure why or how it works, but
mosquitoes are attracted to the mixture, drink and fall dead, usually
within a few feet of the bowl...especially good for those of us in the
South who would like to spend a few minutes outdoors without spraying
ourselves with chemicals. Set plates or bowls of mixture around patio,
and watch the results!

Would be great if it works with flies also.

Lee

Old 12-08-2003, 06:32 PM

wrote:

Just had this hint passed along to me from another gardeners'
forum...kill those pesky and dangerous mosquitos: fill a white plate
or bowl with water and add several drops of Lemon Fresh Joy dishwashing
detergent, and set outside. Not sure why or how it works, but
mosquitoes are attracted to the mixture, drink and fall dead, usually
within a few feet of the bowl...especially good for those of us in the
South who would like to spend a few minutes outdoors without spraying
ourselves with chemicals. Set plates or bowls of mixture around patio,
and watch the results!

Would be great if it works with flies also.

Being the resident skeptic, I doubt if this will work, but what the hey
I think we have some so I will give it a try.

The Mosquito Magic touted in the N&O recently is of dubious use.

Lee

spam@www.spam.com is a garbage address.
Old 15-08-2003, 05:39 AM
MNGal

Same thing works for fleas inside your home....just place the white dish
under a light source (TV, nightlight, etc)& you'll be amazed at how many
HUNDREDS of fleas you catch!

--
Kathie

Kat ~=^..^=~

News==----

Newsgroups

=---

Old 18-08-2003, 12:29 PM
NC_FUBAR

Reckon it'd work with any dish detergent or just Joy?

Lee

Old 18-08-2003, 12:42 PM
Tomatolord

basically what happens is that the soap breaks or reduces the water tension.
the mosquito will try to land on the water and instead of landing goes right
through the water surface and drowns

so any dish soap should work

Same thing with the fleas

The mosquito is not trying to drink the water (they drink blood) they are
trying to land on it to lay their eggs.

All in all not a bad deal, killing a pregnant mosquito can probably go quite
far in reducing the population

tomatolord

Old 19-08-2003, 02:22 PM
Doc Muhlbaier

However, my inference from that is that they are not going to land on the
Joy/water until AFTER they have bitten ME. Lovely!

Doc

"Kathie" wrote in message

Just had this hint passed along to me from another gardeners'
forum...kill those pesky and dangerous mosquitos: fill a white plate
or bowl with water and add several drops of Lemon Fresh Joy dishwashing
detergent, and set outside. Not sure why or how it works, but
mosquitoes are attracted to the mixture, drink and fall dead, usually
within a few feet of the bowl...especially good for those of us in the
South who would like to spend a few minutes outdoors without spraying
ourselves with chemicals. Set plates or bowls of mixture around patio,
and watch the results!

--
Kathie

Kat ~=^..^=~

News==----

Newsgroups
---= 19 East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via

Encryption
=---

Old 19-08-2003, 02:32 PM
Tomatolord

well now this is TRUE since the female needs blood to become pregnant or
needs blood while pregnant i forget which...so you are basically killing
mosquitos AFTER they have sucked somethings blood.

but dont forget they could be sucking bird or animal blood somewhere

Tlord

"Kathie" wrote in message

Just had this hint passed along to me from another gardeners'
forum...kill those pesky and dangerous mosquitos: fill a white plate
or bowl with water and add several drops of Lemon Fresh Joy

dishwashing
detergent, and set outside. Not sure why or how it works, but
mosquitoes are attracted to the mixture, drink and fall dead, usually
within a few feet of the bowl...especially good for those of us in the
South who would like to spend a few minutes outdoors without spraying
ourselves with chemicals. Set plates or bowls of mixture around

patio,
and watch the results!

--
Kathie