Old 18-08-2003, 03:13 AM
Bill

Default Black Locust

I was looking through a garden magazine and saw this interesting tree.
I was wondering if anyone has a black locust. If so, what cultivar is
it? Does it have any pest problems or diseases? What is the soil
condition?

Thanks,
Bill
Old 18-08-2003, 10:09 PM
Steve Holzworth

In article , Bill
wrote:

I was looking through a garden magazine and saw this interesting tree.
I was wondering if anyone has a black locust. If so, what cultivar is
it? Does it have any pest problems or diseases? What is the soil
condition?

When I was young, we had a full-grown locust tree in our yard in
Asheville. I vaguely seem to recall that it was a black locust. At
maturity, it was about 20-24 inches caliper, and quite tall. The limbs
had thorns, and I seem to recall it had seed pods almost like peas.

We had it removed at some point. The wood was so dense that the
arborist had to resharpen his saw blade several times while cutting it
down. The resultant logs burned hotter and longer than any wood I've
seen.

--
Steve Holzworth "Do not attribute to poor spelling
That which is actually poor typing..."

Old 19-08-2003, 03:22 AM
Daniel B. Martin

I was looking through a garden magazine and saw this interesting tree.

Black Locust is a mixed blessing.
http://www.nps.gov/plants/alien/fact/rops1.htm

Daniel B. Martin

Will a Black Locust grow in S. Texas? Jim Caldwell Gardening 5 14-05-2004 02:05 PM
Black Locust Bill North Carolina 0 18-08-2003 03:02 AM
Black Locust Bill North Carolina 0 18-08-2003 02:56 AM
Black Locust Problem Paul Lehmann Lawns 2 05-05-2003 10:58 PM
Black Locust Problem Paul Lehmann Lawns 2 07-03-2003 11:10 AM