Old 19-08-2003, 09:56 PM
Michael Steele

Default Borer worms killing squash

It's a little late now, but maybe for next season....

Is there a way to keep the stalk boring worms from killing my squash plants.
I'd prefer to use chemicals as only a last resort. But at this point I have
NO squash, so anything is better than this!

Thanks,
msteele at nc dot rr dot com

Old 28-08-2003, 06:02 PM
Lynne in NC

"Michael Steele" -nospam wrote:
It's a little late now, but maybe for next season....

Is there a way to keep the stalk boring worms from killing my squash plants.
I'd prefer to use chemicals as only a last resort. But at this point I have
NO squash, so anything is better than this!

Floating row covers (bury the edges with soil) can help a lot with
protecting squash. Just be aware that you'll need to lift the covers
for pollination/bee access. In a more usual summer, you'd keep them
covered early and then remove the covers after the borer season and
when they plants are flowering heavily. The moist summer has kind of
made this more challenging, though.

Also of note: It is often possible to "perform surgery" on squash
plants affected by borers: slice open the stalk, remove the insect,
and bandage the incision with paper tape. We've had many plants
recover when we've tended to them in this way!

/Lynne
Old 03-05-2005, 06:59 PM
Lakshman Vijayarajan

Hello all,

I'm planning to plant some perennials (Creeping phlox) or some annuals
on the place of tulips since they were all dead now. Will need to do
watering during summer. Will this affect the tulip bulbs that are
dormant under the ground now ? Will they bloom next year ? I've got
good drainage soil though. Any experiences with this type of bulbs
interplanted with perennials/annuals ?

Thanks

Laks Vijay
Cary