GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Bee? Beetle? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/north-carolina/41185-bee-beetle.html)

jim wheeler 23-08-2003 02:42 PM

Bee? Beetle?

Lately we have noticed a number of huge beetle-type bees loudly buzzing
around an outside light. This is the first time we have ever seen these.
They are not agressive, but look really mean.

Anybody know what these rascals are?

thx - jim

Daniel B. Martin 23-08-2003 05:22 PM

Bee? Beetle?

... huge beetle-type bees loudly buzzing around an outside light.

http://www.yahooligans.com/content/a...cies/3614.html

Daniel B. Martin

Penny Morgan 23-08-2003 07:12 PM

Bee? Beetle?

When you say buzzing around a light, I take it to mean that you see them at
night and they are attracted to a light, much like moths. I moved here from
upstate NY near Canada & Vermont about 8 years ago. I noticed that down
here I rarely see what we called "June Bugs". Now these are not what people
here call June Bugs - someone told me that you call those large green
beetles that come up from the grass in the morning and buzz around during
the daytime, June Bugs or June Beetles. The ones I'm describing are
nocturnal and are light to dark brown and somewhat smaller in size, but have
a similar shell and make that same buzzing sound. They are very numerous up
north and will sometimes stick to you when you walk outside in the dark -
ick!

They are harmless, but still icky! I see them sporadically here by our
outside deck light. Could this be what you're seeing?

Penny
k.net...

jim wheeler 24-08-2003 03:02 AM

Bee? Beetle?

Penny - could be. My first impression from their shape and sound was that
it was a very, very large bee. jim

om...

Tomatolord 25-08-2003 02:42 PM

Bee? Beetle?

Yes I have seen these only at night about 8 foot high just sitting hovering
there.

They are not june beetles

I guess I need to swat one and bring it in.

I was thinking a horse fly or something along that line...

tlord

ink.net...