Old 29-08-2003, 02:47 AM
Mark

Default My rhododendrons are wilting

I have (had) three Lee's Dark Purple Rhododendrons that I am very fond
of. I have really tried to nurture them and had high hopes for their
success. They were planted in Dec. '99 and seemed to be doing quite
well, even making it through last summer's drought (with frequent
watering).

But I have lost one and I believe that I may be losing another. They
are wilting in sections. It can be new growth or old, but the leaves of
an entire branch will start to wilt, then another branch will go. They
are in a natural area among Pine trees. Some Azeleas nearby are doing
great!

They have no obvious signs of disease. They were planted pretty shallow
with peat moss and mini pine nuggets as soil amendments. It is odd that
they would grow for four years, then succumb during a relatively mild
and wet summer ...

Thanks for listening!

--
Mark
Raleigh, NC USA
Old 29-08-2003, 06:12 PM
John Kohl

Might be phytopthora dieback or phytophthora root rot.
Search the Web for details.

JK

Old 29-08-2003, 10:44 PM
Anne Lurie

Mark,

I think John Kohl was right, and your rhodies do in fact have Phytophthora
root rot, based on a website I found when I googled for "rhodendron wilt":
http://www.hort.uconn.edu/ipm/nursery/htms/rhodrtrt.htm

Unfortunately, I'm not sure there's anything you can do to save your plants,
but you may find more tips if you search online.

Last year's drought was tough on all my plants, even though I tried my best
to keep them all watered -- to the point where I considered simply letting
the vegetable garden die to conserve water. One thing that occurred to me
was that, although I was diligently watering my perennials, the ground
around them might be "wicking" away the water like a sponge.

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

Old 30-08-2003, 03:03 AM
Robert Gray

Not sure why, but I also lost 3 large Rhodies this summer. Noticed the
leaves are all brown and curled up and the stems are browning also. I
heavily mulched them in the spring, and they are in a shady natural area. I
did no extra watering last year and they made it through the draught. No
watering this year - needless to say. The spot was always a very wet area -
especially in the spring. Maybe is was the root rot, or else too much mulch
(about 8").

I am more concerned about the loss of my oak trees. I'll start another
thread for that.

Robert

Old 31-08-2003, 09:23 AM
Mark

In article ,
"Robert Gray" wrote:

I think last summer's drought, the two ice storms, and now this wet
spring/summer have really stressed the trees. I lost one old Maple and
have another with some dead limbs this summer ...

Old 31-08-2003, 09:23 AM
Mark

Thanks all for the replies and leads. I will look into this.

Old 07-09-2003, 04:12 AM
ncstockguy

One other possibility: Voles like to eat the roots of azaleas and
rhodos. Have you checked for quarter-size holes in the ground in that
area? If you have them I have only one suggestion: Rozol down the
holes.