Old 14-09-2003, 07:22 PM
Beth Peace

Default Sweet potatoes

On a whim, I planted a sweet potato that had sprouted and it took off
running (some vines are about 8-10' long). I see several tubers near the
original hole, but I don't know when I should really dig around and see if
there's anything worth eating - after frost? Will they all be right around
the main stem? At least it's a pretty vine that filled in some blank areas
in a new perennial bed.

Beth

Old 16-09-2003, 04:32 PM

In article k.net, Beth Peace wrote:
On a whim, I planted a sweet potato that had sprouted and it took off
running (some vines are about 8-10' long). I see several tubers near the
original hole, but I don't know when I should really dig around and see if
there's anything worth eating - after frost? Will they all be right around
the main stem? At least it's a pretty vine that filled in some blank areas
in a new perennial bed.

Beth

I suggest digging them now. If grown too long they get stringy and
fibrous not to mention more time for varmit damage. They need to be
brushed clean of dirt and allow to cure (dry out some) before being
stored in a cool dry place.

spam@www.spam.com is a garbage address.
Old 01-10-2003, 05:11 AM
Dwayne

Save some of the small ones for next years crop. In early spring put them
in dirt (either inside or outside if it is warm enough), and then when the
slips come up and get to bee 8 ot 10 inches tall, pull them off and put them
in water. Leave them there for 48 hours. They should have produced roots
by then and they can be planted in the garden.

Always dig them before frost. If the leaves get frosted, it will cause the
potatoes to be bitter. After digging them, keep them in a warm humid room
for10 days to cure (the starch turns to sugar). If you dont have a warm (80
degrees F) and humid (80 percent) leave them for an additional 10 days.

Dwayne

"Beth Peace" wrote in message
hlink.net...
wrote:
I suggest digging them now. If grown too long they get stringy and
fibrous not to mention more time for varmit damage. They need to be
brushed clean of dirt and allow to cure (dry out some) before being
stored in a cool dry place.

Sixteen potatoes! Fairly small, but a few decent bakers, and the rest

will
end up in a casserole. I was very surprised at the rather large harvest
from one ignored sprout.

Sweet Potatoes George.com United Kingdom 12 04-10-2006 11:02 PM
Sweet potatoes Carine Edible Gardening 0 03-08-2004 11:32 AM
My sweet sweet Rose Brigitte J. Gardening 14 25-06-2004 12:03 AM
Store Sweet Potatoes Karl Townsend Lawns 1 04-10-2003 05:02 PM
Can you grow sweet potatoes please? Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt United Kingdom 7 13-08-2003 07:43 PM