Old 06-10-2003, 04:12 PM
Kira Dirlik

Default The real truth about RoundUp?

Hi,
Some of you may identify with my summer long battle with
phenomenal growth of bamboo grasses this summer. (Now that they are
blooming, I see there are 4 different types with 4 different flowers.)
I have been pulling it out by the roots, in about 20 separate patches
all through my woods and along my stream. It has been winning.
I did some last summer and noted that those particular patches
were much easier to deal with this year. But the quantity this year
is staggering, and it will surely mostly come back in the spring.
The deer already have killed off any desirable understory, such as
hearts-a-burstin' and other wildflowers, dogwood, maple, and the
beavers are now getting the buckeyes. So if I squirt all these bamboo
patches as they come up in the spring, what damage am I doing? Most
of the areas are on a hill, with a community pond at the bottom. I
know Monsanto has done studies, but that is the fox guarding the
chicken coop. What is the real story with Roundup? And could it
leach into the pond and harm water plants/ fish/turtles?
Thanks.
Kira
Old 06-10-2003, 05:32 PM

In article , Kira Dirlik wrote:
[...]

From what I have read in the spring you have the option of treating with
a pre-emergent like Preen to prevent the stuff from germinating. It
works for up to a season as long as dirt is not disturbed. Don't know
the effect of runoff or if it does.

You can spray roundup early in the year while it is growing but roundup
kills everything it touches. Supposedly round up "binds" with the soil
and does not runoff. Have not heard what happens to the soil after
years and years of use.

I just used a generic version of Ornamec (fuzilfop?? or some such stuff)
that wiped mine out before it went to seed. Again I don't know the
runoff status. It smells to high heaven even to me who does not have
much sense of smell any more. Worse than malathion in my opinion.

Baine can probably give us more info on which of these might really
runoff into the stream.

spam@www.spam.com is a garbage address.
Old 06-10-2003, 09:07 PM
Baine Carruthers

You're pretty much wasting your time with Roundup on bamboo in the spring.
Also, if you check the label on Roundup, there are some pretty stiff
cautions concerning use around water. For aquatic use I believe you need
Rodeo. Check the NC chemical manual for sure. Here's the url:
http://ipm.ncsu.edu/agchem/agchem.html

--
Baine

Old 07-10-2003, 12:44 AM
DonS

In article , !! (Kira Dirlik) wrote:
What is the real story with Roundup?

From the subject line, I was wondering if you were talking about the other
uses for RoundUp. It is frequently on the Top-10 list of most stolen items
from the Big Box guys. Apparently, you use it to make/enhance crack.

-don