Old 28-10-2003, 09:12 PM
Elizabeth

Default Why do some trees get their fall color later than others?

Hi everyone,

I'm really enjoying the fall colors this year, even though they might not be
quite as spectacular as other years. I'm wondering, does anyone know why
some trees get their color later? I have a sugar maple that is just starting
to turn, but I've notice some not far from here that are already bright
orange and red. Is it the sunny exposure? My tree is always later than
others.

Thanks,
Elizabeth

Old 29-10-2003, 12:32 AM
Anne Lurie

Elizabeth, I moved to NC from northern VT, where fall foliage is almost
always a topic of conversation -- and deservedly so!

Although I can't offer any concrete advice, I wonder if perhaps your sugar
maple gets more moisture than the others you mentioned -- beautiful or
not, I think that stressed trees' leaves turn color first.

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

ink.net...

Old 02-11-2003, 09:02 PM
Elizabeth

Hmm, that is something I hadn't thought of! I guess that means it's doing
all right. Thanks, E.

. com...