GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Letting Basil Go To Seed (was: Keeping Basil) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/north-carolina/46342-re-letting-basil-go-seed-keeping-basil.html)

Daniel B. Martin 30-10-2003 01:02 AM

Letting Basil Go To Seed (was: Keeping Basil)

... has anyone here ever tried simply letting basil go to seed?

I allow basil to flower and go to seed because the blossoms attract hordes
of pollinators and I want to encourage them. I've had very few volunteer
basil plants the following year. Presumably the seeds are not frost-hardy.

I allow dill to flower and go to seed for the same reason. My garden hosts
a lush growth of volunteer dill every year. It's easy to understand why
some people call it dill weed.

Daniel B. Martin