Old 03-11-2003, 05:13 PM
PV

Default bearded irises blooming NOW

I planted some bearded irises (bought at Home Depot) last fall. They
immediately came up and died out over the spring. They recently came
up again and they are blooming a beautiful purple. Are these irises
completely confused? I thought they would bloom in the spring like my
other irises. I recently planted some more irises and hope these
don't bloom next fall but rather in the spring. Any one else have an
experience with irises blooming in the Fall?

Thanks

PV
Old 03-11-2003, 09:02 PM
Marymind

PV,
I read that evidently some hybrids are prone to reblooming in the
Fall....lucky you!!

Old 05-11-2003, 12:02 AM
Bobby Baxter

Today I have eight different iris verities in bloom. Two years ago I got
the bud to start hybridizing reblooming irises so I sought out many
cultivars with this characteristic. They bloom in the spring, and then some
rebloom in summer and even again in the fall. Some just bloom spring and
then fall. It sure is nice to have those colors in the garden today.

Bobby

--
Bobby Baxter
TheGardenSite.com

TheGardenSite.com: http://thegardensite.com
Daylily Gardens Of The World: http://daylily.net/gardens
Gardens Of The World: http://thegardensite.com/gardens
Iris Gardens Of The World: http://thegardensite.com/irises
Daylily.Net: http://daylily.net
GardenTalk Forum: http://thegardensite.com/gardentalk/

Old 05-11-2003, 06:12 PM
Susan H. Simko

I think the weather is playing tricks on the plants this year.
Currently, I have a daylily reblooming (its never done that before),
freesia sprouting and a lilac blooming. The plants can't seem to decide
if they should be battening down for winter or if spring is here already.

Susan
shsimko (at) dukedotedu

Old 05-11-2003, 09:42 PM
Bobby Baxter

Susan, it has been a great year for daylily rebloom. I have at least 10
different daylilies in bloom. Sure hope the frost and cold nights hold off
a bit so we can continuing enjoying them.

Bobby