Old 13-11-2003, 01:14 PM
BlueBee Sky

Default Dahlias tipping over

I have few Dahlias that are in full bloom, but the plants have all
tipped over. Though the blooms are beautiful, the plant looks ugly
becuase of the way its lying on the ground. What can I do in the future
to avoid this condition? One obvious answer is to add support to it, but
do Dahlias need support to stand straight? Or is the bulb not deep
enough? Oh I have the same problem with the Galdioulous(I have already
cut them). But shouuld I plant the bulbs deeper?

Thanks for any help.

Old 13-11-2003, 01:14 PM
Baine Carruthers

I think the larger varieties of dahlias definitely need staking. Bamboo
works nicely as does the metal stakes with a curl at the top.

--
Baine

Old 13-11-2003, 01:14 PM
Brent Harsh

BlueBee Sky wrote:
I have few Dahlias that are in full bloom, but the plants have all
tipped over. Though the blooms are beautiful, the plant looks ugly
becuase of the way its lying on the ground. What can I do in the future
to avoid this condition? One obvious answer is to add support to it, but
do Dahlias need support to stand straight? Or is the bulb not deep
enough? Oh I have the same problem with the Galdioulous(I have already
cut them). But shouuld I plant the bulbs deeper?

I think the rhizome things (are yours really bulbs?) should be planted
fairly shallow and that staking is necessary. When I googled on them a
couple years ago, I saw that many people who really take them seriously
used tomato cones around theirs. Seeing this, I planned the row of ours
along a fenceline, so when they started to tip over, I could just tie
support where they needed it.

--
Brent Harsh - KD4PBO /"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign: Say
bharsh at ncroadrunner \ / NO to HTML in email and news.