Old 13-11-2003, 02:15 PM
PV

Default help - can't crank lawnmower - need to mow

Hi all,

Thinking that Fall was here and I wouldn't need to mow the grass
anymore, I stopped paying my lawn service. Now I've tried to crank my
lawn mower (3 years old) and it won't crank. I've replaced the spark
plug and filled it with gas. THe oil looks good so I didn't touch
that. And the mower still won't crank. This is Briggs & Stratton
motor, 6hp, throttle-free and the manual says not to use any starting
fluid. Anyone have any suggestions? My HOA may be sending me a
notice soon to cut my grass!

BTW, I had used some of that "fuel-saver" stuff (for when you put a
lawn mower up for an extended period of time), but I guess it didn't
help me. Anyone know of any "small engine" places in Durham or
surrounding area that I could get some help at?

Thanks,

PV
Old 13-11-2003, 02:15 PM
Daniel B. Martin

... I've tried to crank my lawn mower (3 years old) and it won't crank.
Anyone have any suggestions?

Please clarify "won't crank." When you pull the rope, does it refuse to
move? That is "won't crank." Does the rope pull out but the engine
doesn't start and run? That is "won't fire."

If the rope pulls out, does it have a normal resistance or does it pull out
with a suspicious ease? Suspicious ease suggests an engine valve is stuck
open, with a consequential loss of compression.

Some engines have a manual choke, and will not start if the choke is not
"on." It's been a while since you used this mower, and maybe you've
forgotten about the need to set the choke.

Do you know how to use a spare spark plug to test for spark? If so, please
make that test.

You could use engine starting fluid as a diagnostic test. This is ether
in a spray can. You may buy this at any auto parts store (Advance Auto,
AutoZone, Pep Boys, etc.) for about $2. Remove the engine air cleaner and
spray a two-second blast into the intake. Pull the starter rope. If the
engine starts readily, runs lustily for two seconds, and then dies, your
problem is a lack of fuel. The starting fluid acts as a temporary
substitute for gasoline.

Daniel B. Martin

Old 13-11-2003, 02:15 PM
Daniel B. Martin

Anyone have any suggestions?

Does this engine have a carburetor with a rubber primer bulb? If so, you
should press that primer bulb 5 times before attempting to start the engine.

Does the fuel tank have a shutoff valve? If so, make sure it the valve is
in the "open" position.

Daniel B. Martin

Old 13-11-2003, 02:15 PM

In article , Daniel B. Martin wrote:
Anyone have any suggestions?

Does this engine have a carburetor with a rubber primer bulb? If so, you
should press that primer bulb 5 times before attempting to start the engine.

Does the fuel tank have a shutoff valve? If so, make sure it the valve is
in the "open" position.

Daniel B. Martin

If it has been setting for an extended period of time the evaporating
gas has probably gummed the carb and will need cleaning and rebuild.
That cost me 55 bucks for a used chipper shredder I bought.

One method that can help prove it runs but is not getting gas is to put
a healthy squirt of lighter fluid in the spark plug hole, some directly
on the plug, then put it all back together and give it a pull will run
several cycles that way and if not gettng gas will die.

I have also tested it with ether sprayed into the carb but that is A LOT
MORE DANGEREOUS AND SHOULD NOT BE DONE UNLESS YOU HAVE EXPERIENCE DOING
THIS BEFORE.

spam@www.spam.com is a garbage address.
Old 13-11-2003, 02:15 PM
Doctoroe

Starter fluid which you can get in a spray can at any auto parts store
usually helps a stubborn lawnmower engine start up. But I agree with
earlier statements, this stuff is dangerous. Use it only in an open
area and follow the directions.

Mow, mow, mow Srgnt Billko Lawns 3 19-05-2007 05:10 AM
Lawn Mower Won't Crank Larry R Harrison Jr Lawns 11 26-03-2006 04:35 PM
need hand crank shredder for compost bin ... CompostJones Gardening 2 09-07-2005 11:27 AM
To mow or not to mow snafu Gardening 9 26-09-2004 02:05 PM
help - can't crank lawnmower - need to mow PV North Carolina 5 11-11-2003 06:02 PM