GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   How do they make green tomatoes red? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/north-carolina/47177-how-do-they-make-green-tomatoes-red.html)

Doctoroe 13-11-2003 02:15 PM

How do they make green tomatoes red?

Just bought some bright red tomatoes at the grocery, since we are out
of the fresh ones. These are hard as can be. Obviously they are
green. How do they make em red when they are obviously not ripe? The
first one we tried had about as much taste as sawdust. Now have the
other two sitting in the window sill, but they are still hard as
softballs.

Daniel B. Martin 13-11-2003 02:15 PM

How do they make green tomatoes red?

How do they make em red when they are obviously not ripe?

Those tomatoes may have been treated with ethylene gas.
See http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/BODY_CV206

In addition, they may be a cultivar which tolerates handling and shipping
without splitting. Tomatoes bred for this quality may be deficient in
others, such as tenderness and taste.

Daniel B. Martin

Paul Mitchell 13-11-2003 02:15 PM

How do they make green tomatoes red?

As far as I'm concerned, after a summer of growing tomatoes (still got a
few cherrys on the plants which survived the low temps last month) the
enemic, pale orange imitation of a tomoatoe purchased in any store (and
served, surprisingly, in good restaurants and all sub-shops) is to be
avoided.

In a few months when I hunger for one of these things again, it will be
the grape tomatoes (usually grown in Isreal, as I recall from last year)
which I find to have actual taste and substance to them.

Paul

Paul Mitchell
email:
phone: (919) 962-9778
office: I have an office, room 14, Phillips Hall

Doctoroe 13-11-2003 02:15 PM

How do they make green tomatoes red?

I am going to leave the remaining tomato on the windowsill and see
just what happens to it. Still hard as can be. Ridiculous. Thanks
for the info on the gas treatment. Some of the things they do to our
food is downright ridiculous, no?