Old 13-11-2003, 01:15 PM
Julie

Default Raleigh Farmers Market??

It seems like everytime I go out there, I see produce being delivered to
each vendor off the back of trucks in boxes. The same truck going from
vendor to vendor.

It seems like each vendor does their best to convince everyone that
everything comes out of their own fields.

I have bought really bad tomatoes from almost every vendor out there. Hard
to believe everyone had a bad year. Not so hard to believe that one major
distributor had ethylene rippened tomatoes that he sells to each vendor??

Does anybody have any idea how much of this produce is actually produced by
each vendor or do they all buy from the same distributor??

Old 13-11-2003, 01:15 PM

In article .net, Julie wrote:
It seems like everytime I go out there, I see produce being delivered to
each vendor off the back of trucks in boxes. The same truck going from
vendor to vendor.

It seems like each vendor does their best to convince everyone that
everything comes out of their own fields.

I have bought really bad tomatoes from almost every vendor out there. Hard
to believe everyone had a bad year. Not so hard to believe that one major
distributor had ethylene rippened tomatoes that he sells to each vendor??

Does anybody have any idea how much of this produce is actually produced by
each vendor or do they all buy from the same distributor??

There are two sheds out there. The open shed closest to the entrance
is supposed to be for farmers only. The other shed which is more
enclosed is for vendors who stay open year round and are not farmers but
retailers.

There are probably few tomaotes under the farmers sheds right now
because most fields have quit producing and few farmers grow greenhouse
ripened tomatoes. If you are seeing a commerical truck then you must be
seeing the retail side. They are basically getting the same produce you
find in a grocery store.

Greenhouse grown tomatoes can be tasty but quite expensive.

spam@www.spam.com is a garbage address.
Old 13-11-2003, 01:15 PM
Julie

I was out there last week, on the lower level, and just about everyone had
tomatoes. The problem was, they were all terrible. While I was there I saw
the same truck going down the row from vendor to vendor and off loading
produce, including tomatoes. I heard the truck driver asking the vendor how
many boxes they wanted of each item!!!

wrote in message
. ..
In article .net, Julie

Old 13-11-2003, 01:15 PM

In article .net, Julie wrote:
I was out there last week, on the lower level, and just about everyone had
tomatoes. The problem was, they were all terrible. While I was there I saw
the same truck going down the row from vendor to vendor and off loading
produce, including tomatoes. I heard the truck driver asking the vendor how
many boxes they wanted of each item!!!

Lower level? The one closest to the entrance?

wrote in message
. ..
In article .net, Julie

Old 13-11-2003, 01:15 PM
Julie

That's the one.

wrote in message
. ..
In article .net, Julie

wrote:
I was out there last week, on the lower level, and just about everyone

had
tomatoes. The problem was, they were all terrible. While I was there I

saw
the same truck going down the row from vendor to vendor and off loading
produce, including tomatoes. I heard the truck driver asking the vendor

how
many boxes they wanted of each item!!!

Lower level? The one closest to the entrance?

wrote in message
. ..
In article .net,

Julie

Old 13-11-2003, 01:15 PM
laurie \(Mother Mastiff\)

I believe the only requirement for the lowest building is that the produce
be grown in NC, but I have often seen cases from other states down there. I
scrounge scraps to feed my chickens down there, so I do tend to notice stuff
like that.

Wonder whether it is worth asking the group that runs the market to check
into it, or set new rules so the public knows what to expect!

laurie (Mother Mastiff)

"Julie" wrote in message
hlink.net...
That's the one.

wrote in message
. ..
In article .net,

Julie
wrote:
I was out there last week, on the lower level, and just about everyone

had
tomatoes. The problem was, they were all terrible. While I was there

saw
the same truck going down the row from vendor to vendor and off

produce, including tomatoes. I heard the truck driver asking the

vendor
how
many boxes they wanted of each item!!!

Lower level? The one closest to the entrance?

wrote in message
. ..
In article .net,

Julie

--
Wes Dukes (wdukes.pobox@com) Swap the . and the @ to email me

please.

Old 13-11-2003, 01:15 PM
Anne Lurie

I thought I read at one time that produce at the Farmers Market was supposed
to be grown in NC, unless it was not then growing in NC (wrong time of
ear) -- at which point, produce could come in from other states, but not
from New Zealand, for example. (I think I saw an interview with someone
from the NC Dept. of Agriculture, which presumably has its hands full with
other matters at the moment.)

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

"laurie (Mother Mastiff)" wrote in